You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine OLEYEVO KOROLEVKA: Tarnopol
OLEYEVO KOROLEVKA: Tarnopol PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Oleyëvo-Korolëvka, Королёвка [Rus], Olejowa Korolówka [Pol], Korolovka [Yid], Koralivka, Коралівка [Ukr], Korolyuvka, Koroluvka, Korolówka, Korilifka, Korolevka, Hebrew: קורולובקה. 48°44' N, 25°59' E, 59 miles SSE of Ternopil, 21 miles SSE of Chortkiv (Czortków), 27 miles W of Kamyanets Podilskyy. 1900 Jewish population:  1,596.

  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 659: "Korolowka".
  • Pinkas HaKehilot, Poland, Vol. 2 (1980), p. 489-490: "Korolowka"
  • Shtetl Finder (1980), p. 40: "Korolovka, Korilifka".
  • Galicia SIG.
  • Yizkor.

OLEYEVO KOROLEVKA:     US Commission No. UA19110101
Alternate name: Korolifka (Yiddish), Korolovka (German) and Korolowka (Hungarian). Oleyevo Korolevka is located in Ternopolskaya at 48° 44 25° 59, 50km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located at East. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town officials: Village Executive Council - Tihovich Dmitriy Nikolayevich [Phone: (071)34531]. Main Architect of Borschev Region - Babiy Vasiliy Timofeevich [Phone: (05541)21538]. Local History Museum of Sohatskiy Mikhail Petrovich [Phone: (05541)21692]. School Director Pankevich Stepan Dmitrievich.
  • Regional:: Regional Executive Council - Mironchuk Vladimir Nikolayevich [Phone: (03552)21578]. Oblast State Administration - Kuzik Ivan Andreevich [Phone: (05541)51178].
  • Jewish Community 'Alef', Paren Nuta Elyevich [Phone: (03522)69323].

The earliest known Jewish community was end 17th-beginning 18th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1161. Effecting Jewish Community were 1925 charity "Ezra" establishment and 1927 G.Gelbard was selected Deputy Chairman of Executive Committee. Living here was Yan Leybovich Frank, founder of Frankist sect. The last known Chortkovskaya, Vizhnitskaya Hasidic burial was 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossroads to Zaleschiki & Borschev, 200m East, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with between 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 18th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has special section 1800 until first part 20th century. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (Uncontrolled access. There are many broken tombstones). Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, vandalism, and proposed nearby development. Slight threat: existing nearby development.
Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prospect 37 a, Apt. 23 [Phone: (044)2769505] visited site on 19/04/1996. Interviews were not listed. Hodorkovskiy completed survey in /04/1996. Documentation: see section 14 [sic].

[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [March 2016]

 

Last Updated on Saturday, 19 March 2016 00:49
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution