ZOZOW: US Commission No. UA01460101
Zozow is 10 km from Lipoveths. The cemetery is located at the NNW outskirts on Litvinov St. on the collective farm. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1926 Jewish population was 225 with last known Hasidic burial in 1941. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and crossing other public collective farms, access is open to all. No wall or fence or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.40 and is now 0.12 hectares. 1 to 20 common tombstones exist. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing both graves and stones. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for waste dumping. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation constantly to 1941. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access (The cemetery is on the collective field.) and vandalism (partially plundered). Serious threat: vegetation (overgrown). Moderate threat: weather erosion and pollution. Slight threat: existing and proposed nearby development.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St. apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 30/09/96. Mihalskaya Olga Iosifovna of 71 Litvinova St. was interviewed on 30/09/96.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 09 August 2009 19:03|