You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine ZOLOTOY POTOK: Ternopilska Oblast[ Zolotyy Potik, Zolotoy Potіk, Zolotoy Potok, Potok Złoty, Potek-Zolti, Zolotyj Potik, Potok.]
ZOLOTOY POTOK: Ternopilska Oblast[ Zolotyy Potik, Zolotoy Potіk, Zolotoy Potok, Potok Złoty, Potek-Zolti, Zolotyj Potik, Potok.] PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Zolotyi Potik Alternate names: Zolotyy Potik and Золотий Потік  [Ukr], Zolotoy Potok and  Золотой Поток  [Rus], Potok Złoty [Pol], Potek-Zolti and פּאָטיק  [Yid], Zolotyj Potik, Potok. 48°55' N, 25°21' E, 28 miles E of Ivano-Frankivsk (Stanisławów), 30 miles NNE of Kolomyya (Kołomyja), 12 miles S of Buchach (Buczacz). Jewish population: 1,247 (in 1880), 895 (in 1921).

Russian Source with photos: "[means Golden Stream] is mentioned in the 14th century. Called Zagaypole, first written mention was the end of the 16th century when Polish King Sigismund I gave Nadvornaya Marshal Prince Sigismund II Augustus Jakub Potocki the village Sokolov Zagaypole. In 1570 the co-owners - the sons of Jacob Nicholas Potocki, Jan and Andrew - had the privilege to hold fairs in the estate Zagaypole. In 1578 a terrain map stream near Sokolov, for which the sons Nicholas Potocki got the privilege to hold 2 fairs and trades on Mondays. In 1599 after the division of the marital property Stefan Potocki - the youngest son of the ring guard Nicholas Potocki - became owner of the newly [Flow]. In 1601, the settlement received town rights, and the name was changed to Potok Zloty.. From here comee the most famousPotocki family  in Ukraine and Poland coat of arms Here was the main branch of the manor before the destruction of the castle Potocki by Turkish-Tatar forces in September 1676. After the first partition of Poland in 1772 , the Holy Roman Empire had control from 1804 - Austrian Empire in 1867 - Austria -Hungary, in 1919 - Poland, since 1939 - the USSR. In 1765, Here lived 335 Jews in 1880 - in 1247 (39.7% of the total population), in 1921 - 895 Jews (28.2 %). The first mention of Jews is 1635 when a considerable number of Jewish craftsmen (tailors, shoemakers, etc.) were present. Since early 18th century, the kahal was an independent community. In 1851-59 Hasidic Dovid Moshe Friedman (1859 - Chortkiv Tzadik). in 1914-1920. Many Jews left then. July 10, 1941 Wehrmacht Judenrat was established. Autumn 1942 Jews were deported to[sic] Bucac. Detailed description of photo. photohunt.org.ua / Zolotoy_Potok.html

CEMETERY:

US Commission No. UA19290101
Alternate name: Potek Zolti (Yiddish), Potik, (German), Potok Zloty (Hungarian), Zloti Potok (Czech) and Zolotyy Potik (Ukraine). Zolotoy Potok is located in Ternopolskaya at 48º54 25º20, 18 km from Buchach and 75 km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located at NW. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town officials: Village Executive Council - Bubniv Vasiliy Stepanovich [Phone: (071)31042].
  • Regional: Regional Executive Council, Vovk Vasiliy Grigoryevich of 283220, Buchach, Svobody Sq.1 [Phone: (03544) 21178]. Oblast State Administration of Skibnyavskiy Mikhail Vasilyevich [Phone: (03522) 25225]. Main Architect of Buchach Region of Dobrovolskiy Ivan Nikolayevich [Phone: (03522) 21453].
  • Jewish Community 'Alef' - Paren Nuta Elyevich [Phone: (03522) 93923].
    • The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 895. The Hasidic Jewish cemetery was established in 18th century with last known Jewish burial 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 21 to 100 common tombstones, most in original location with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from 20th century. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (Uncontrolled access led to many broken tombstones), existing nearby development (Local residents use this land as kitchen garden and for construction.) and proposed nearby development. Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prosp. 37A, Apt.23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site on 16/04/1996. No interviews were conducted. Hodorkovskiy completed survey on /04/1996. Documentation: 1. Encyclopaedia Judaica, Wasiutinski B. Ludnosc zydowska w Polsce w wiekach XIX i XX-Warsawa, 1930.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 April 2014 17:32
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution