|T[Zołotonsza, Золотоноша, Poltava region|
ALTERNATE NAMES: ZOLOTONOSHA [Золотоноша UKR, RUS, YID], ZOŁOTONSZA [POL]. 49°40' N, 32°02' E, 85 miles SE of Kyyiv, 16 miles N of Cherkasy. 1900 Jewish population: 2,749. he city is administrative center of the Zolotonosha Raion with the city itself designated as a separate district within the oblast. Zolotonosha is located on the Zolotonoshka River, a tributary of the Dnipro river within 30 km (19 mi) of the oblast's administrative center,Cherkasy. The city is also located on the railroad line Bakhmach-Odessa, and on the autoroad Kiev-Kremenchuk and Cherkasy-Shramivka.
Wikipedia. [Feb 2014]
Encyclopaedia Judaica.: "ZOLOTONOSHA, city in S.W. Poltava district, Ukraine. Jews began to settle in Zolotonosha at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1847 there were 1,001 Jews, and in 1897 there were 2,769 (about 32% of the population). In October 1905 pogroms broke out in the city, characterized by general looting and the destruction of all Jewish property. In 1926 there were 5,180 Jews in the city (32.5% of the total population). In 1939 they numbered 2,087. When the Germans invaded in September of 1941, they murdered 300 Jews from the surrounding area. Those who were unsuccessful in escaping the city were exterminated: Some 3,500 Jews from the city were executed in November."
ZOLOTONOSHA I: US Commission No. UA23070101
Alternate name: Zoltonosza (Ukraine). Zolotonosha is located in Cherkasskaya at 49º40 32º2, 28 km from Cherkassy and 139 km from Kiev. The cemetery is located at Zelenyy pereulok, West. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 11-100 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1650. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 5180. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1767 Koliivshchina and 1919-1920 Pogroms. Living here was Rabbi-Nohem Sheyhet. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1650. Buried in the cemetery is Rabbi-Nohem Sheyhet with last known Hasidic burial in 1994. Irkliyev (27 km away), Palmira (18 km away) and Pischana (22 km away), Antonovka (18 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban crown of a hill has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. Hedges or trees and a gate that locks surround the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1908. The cemetery has special sections for men, women, children and suicides. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Frequently, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish Community cleared vegetation and fixed gate semi-annually. The government pays the regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with a catafalque and burial tools. Slight threat: vandalism.
The mass grave is located at town NE on Strunkovskaya St.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1650. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 5180. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1768 Koliyvshchina, 1648 Genotsid, and 1919-1920 Pogroms. Living here was Rabbi-Nohem Sheyhet. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1942 with last known Jewish burial 1943. Jews from no other towns or villages were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated urban crown of a hill has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. No stones are visible or removed. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Occasionally, local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. No maintenance had been done. There is no maintenance. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation. Serious threat: uncontrolled access.
Turman Bella Samuilovna of Chercass, Homenko St. 16, Apt. 66 [Phone: (0472) 631272] visited on 3/4/95. Interviewed on 3/4/95 were Ponomaryenko Mihail of Vodopoynay St. 5 and Mozgovoy Grigoriy Nikolayevich of Baha St. 139. Turman completed survey on 03/05/1995.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 February 2014 18:05|