|ZHYTOMYR: Zhitomir, Zytomierz, Schytomur, Zytomyr, Zitomir, Shitomir, Jitomir|
Alternate names: Zhytomyr [Ukr], Zhitomir and Житомир [Rus, Yid: ז'יטומיר ], Żytomierz [Pol], Schytomyr [Ger], Žytomyr, Žitomir, Shitomir, Jitomir. 50°15' N, 28°40' E, 82 miles W of Kyyiv, 71 miles N of Vinnytsya (Vinnitsa). Jewish population: 30,738 (in 1897), 29,503 (1939). After WWII liberation and according to the 1959 census about 14,800 Jews (about 14% of the total population), but probably closer to 25,000 lived in Zhytomyr with a well-kept cemetery and a synagogue with a rabbi. The synagogue building was ordered destroyed in 1962 for a large apartment house. The Jewish community rented a new apartment. In 1990, the city had approximately 12,000 Jews.
Jewish Cemetery: photo. New fence in 2011. [April 2012]