|ZHABOKRICHI [ZHABOKRYCH ,HABOKRITCH [YID], ŻABOKRZYCZ, SCHABOKRITSCH, ZABOKRYC/[|
ALTERNATE NAMES: ZHABOKRICH and Жабокрич [RUS], ZHABOKRYCH AND ЖАБОКРИЧ [UKR], ZHABOKRITCH [YID], ŻABOKRZYCZ [POL], SCHABOKRITSCH, ZABOKRYC/. 48°23' N, 28°59' E, 4 miles E of Mohyliv-Podilskyy, 24 miles W of Bershad, 27 miles WNW of Olgopol.. 1000 Jewish populaiton; 1,307.
Source with photos: "Zhabokrich (also Zhabokrichi, historical Polish name Zhabokrich Welke) - village Kryzhopol region Vinnytsia region, up to 1923 - the county town Olgopolskogo Podolia. Jews settled here, probably in the first half of the XVIII century. In 1765 there were six Zhabokriche Jewish homes, more than forty Jews who lived in the village, were attributed to the community Myastkovki. Based on the census in 1790, 55 Jews counted here, the settlement by this time received the status of town with a name change to Zhabokrich Wielki (Great). In 1853, the community had a wooden synagogue in which there were 120 parishioners, when it was "spiritual" Rabbi Mordechai (Mortka) Shaiman, Gabay and cantor. In the village lived a so-called clerk, or "official", Rabbi Mordechai (Mortka) Feldman. In 1852 there were seven registered Zhabokriche artisans Jews in 1871, according to a report Podolsky governor Zhabokricha 357 residents was attributed to trading estate and 3750 - to agriculture, in the village, there were 679 houses. In the first half of the 1890s. in the village was 440 yards, they lived 4790 people. Jews constituted more than 25% of the population and contained two prayer houses (in 1889 - 1393 Jews). In 1901 became rabbi Zhabokricha p. Son Nathan p. Baruch Stanislavsky (born in 1872). In the beginning of the century at the disposal of the community had three synagogue building. Virtually all areas of economic life town - craft, industrial and commercial - in the hands of the Jews. Jews rented the largest enterprise - distillery (founded in 1860), owned by one of two steam mills, mead plant, lumberyard, and all the shops and stores, a total of about forty. Jewish pogroms of the collapse of the empire passed Zhabokrich. In the Orthodox feast of the (November 1917), the young farmers group arrived in town and beat the Jews with iron rods. 28 - August 30, 1919 soldiers retreating army units staged in the town Directories mayhem. At the beginning of the 1920s. Zhabokrich was a medium-sized town with 8000 inhabitants.Jews accounted for a quarter of its population and lived in the center of town is compact, most of the Jewish population were artisans: shoemakers, furriers, carpenters, blacksmiths. Rabbi Zhabokricha r.Natan Stanislavsky remained until the 1920s. He did not come to the conclusion that "the place is no longer in need of a rabbi, as to him no one goes." Some time continued to operate four header, the summer of 1923 two of them were closed, remaining engaged in fifty children.Because of financial difficulties Jewish school opened in the early 1920s., Was forced to close; orphanage because poverty means located in two rooms of an apartment house where acute shortage of staff. He was kept at the expense of Evobschestkoma and "Joint", and in May, 1923 - only the means of the latter, as the Board of Education refused to support him. Some Jewish youth was swept Komsomol work which was conducted in Yiddish, among 16 local Komsomol was 12 Jews. In 1923, 823 Jews lived here (20% of the population). German troops entered Zhabokrich in the 20 days in July 1941, and later was installed here Romanian occupation regime.Until the end of July the Romanian gendarmes completely destroyed the Jewish population of town. Jews pushed into the cellar and shot them in the back. Separate the wounded later able to get out and escape. Jews now live in Zhabokriche notLukin, "100 Jewish towns in Ukraine" Detailed photos. [<ar 2014]''
The mass grave is located at Center. 1920 Community organization was destroyed on 25 July 1941. The Jewish mass grave was dug 25 July 1941. Jews from no other towns or villages were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated urban flat land has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by town street, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. The mass grave has only common tombstones from 1946. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are residential. Occasionally, local residents visit. The mass grave was vandalized during World War II and frequently in the last ten years. Occasionally, individuals clean or clear. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation, vandalism and existing nearby development. Slight threat: weather erosion and proposed nearby development.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Ukraine, Odessa, Varnenskaya 17D, apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 65950] visited in 07/1994 and 12/1991. Interviewed was Zakrevskiy A.N. in 07/1995. Oks completed survey on 07/03/1995. Documentation: Odessa Oblast State Fond P-2255, on. 1, D-1157, 1189, 1309, 1359, 1360. Other documentation was inaccessible.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 25 March 2014 00:09|