ZASHKOV (Zashkuv, Zhashkiv), Cherkassy region Print
Alternate names: Zashkov, Zashkuv, שקאוו (Yiddish), Zaszkow (Polish), Жашків (Ukrainian), Жашков (Russian) . Either 49°44' N 24°45' E or 49°57' N 23°59' E, 260 or 290 miles west of Kyyiv. Jewish history and illustrations::Founded in 1636, 2014 population is 14,116 (as of 2014). Zhashkov is approx. 64 km from Uman, 160 km from Kiev and about 78 km from Talne. The town became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793 after the third Partition of Poland and before the Revolution of 1917, it was a shtetl of the Tarasha uyezd,  Kiev Guberniya. The Jewish community of Zhashkiv was first mentioned in the state archives in the 17th century, with several Jewish innkeepers, distilleries and mill owners. 1863 Jewish population: 556 Jews with 1,533 Orthodox Christians and 52 Roman Catholics. In 1897, the Jewish population was 2,445 residents (47,2%). 1865 Jewish prayer house existed. In the early 20th century, three synagogues had been constructed.

CEMETERY:

  • In NE part of the town onNaberezhna Str. The oldest part of the cemetery is surrounded with a ditch and lined with trees. The newer section built after WWII has a metal fence on concrete pillars.The cemetery has care. In 1998, a new fence was added on to the post-war section.The oldest gravestone in the cemetery dates from 1918. The total number of gravestones visible is 70. photos. [June 2016]