|ZABOLOTIV (ZABŁOTÓW, ZABLOTIV, ZABOLOTOV, ZABLOTOV, ZABLUTOV, ZABLOTUV, ZABOLOTYIV): Sniatyn Raion of Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast|
Alternate names: Zabolotiv and Заболотів [Ukr], Zabłotów [Pol], Zablutov and זאַבלאָטאָוו [Yid], Zabolotov and Заболотов [Rus], Zablatov, Zablotov, Zablotuv, Zabolotyiv. 48°28' N, 25°17' E, 12 miles ESE of Kolomyya, 13 miles W of Snyatyn.. Jewish population: 2,009 (in 1890)
First pogrom in Zabolotiv was in 1903.
ZABOLOTOV I: US Commission No. UA08240101
Alternate name: Zablatov, Zablotov (Yiddish), Zablotow, Zablotuv (German), Zablutov (Hungarian) and Zabolotiv (Ukraine). Zabolotov is located in Ivano-Frankovskaya at 48º28 25º18, 50 km from Chernovtsy, 70 km from Ivano-Frankovsk and 20 km from Snyatin. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1454. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1867 Jews received all rights of Austro-Hungary, 1890-1900 emigration to USA. Buried in the cemetery is son of Alter rabbi with last known Jewish burial was 1930. Jewish community was Sadgorskaya, Vizhnitskaya Hasidic. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 18th to 20th century. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of housing development. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (leads to destruction of tombstones), vandalism (destruction of tombstones) and existing nearby development (The widening farmland threatens to cut into cemetery.) Moderate threat: pollution, vegetation and proposed nearby development. Slight threat: weather erosion.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1454. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1867 when Jews received all rights of Austro-Hungary and 1890-1900 Jewish emigration to USA. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Sadgorskaya, Vizhnitskaya Hasidic burial 1942. Jews from no other towns or villages were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1957. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours and Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities did re-erection of stones and cleared vegetation in 1957. Now, occasionally authorities clear or clean. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism.
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 April 2016 01:02|