YAVOROV: Jaworów, Jaworiw Yavoriv, Iavoriv, Javorov, Javoriv, Print

Alternate names: Yavorov and Яворов [Rus, Yid - יאַוואָראָוו], Jaworów [Pol], Yavoriv and Яворів [Ukr], Jaworiw [Ger], Javorov, Javoriv, Iavoriv. 49°56' N, 23°23' E, 28 miles WNW of L'viv (Lvov), 28 miles ENE of Przemyśl (Pshemishl). 1900 Jewish population: ~2,400.

Yudenshtadt Yavorov: der umkum fun di Yavorover idn (New York, 1950)

Matsevet zikaron le-kehilat Jaworow ve-ha-seviva (Haifa, 1979)

Pinkas HaKehilot, Poland, Vol. 2 (1980), p. 274-278: "Jaworow"

Jewish Records Indexing Poland Town Page

Museum of the History of Polish Jews

Galicia SIG

Jewish Records Indexing - Poland

CEMETERY:

YAVOROV I:     US Commission No. UA13520101
Alternative names: German: Jaworow Polish: Jaworow. It is located in Lvovskaya oblast at 49º56 and 41º00, 47 km from Lvov. The cemetery is located in NE part of village, Lvovskaya St. 64-66. Present town population is 5000-25000 with no Jews.

      • Town officials: Town Soviet Chief Shapoval Valentin Vasilievich, Lvovskaya St., 32.
      • Regional officials: Lvov Regional State Administration, Lvov Vinnichenko St., 18, reception room, tel.: 722947, 728093. Lvov Center State Historical Archives (CSHA), Sobornaya square, 3a, tel.: 723508. State Archives of Lvov region (SALR), Lvov, Podvalnaya St., 13, tel.: 720030.
      • Lvov Jewish Community, Lvov Mikhnovskih St., 4, Rabbi Mordekhai Shloime Bold, tel.: 330524. The unlocked cemetery has no caretaker.
      • The earliest mention of Jewish community is 1621. 1909Jewish population was 2846. Effecting Jewish community was Khmelnitskaya war (1648-1655); 1658 building of wooden synagogue; 1704 typhus epidemic; and 1905 building of stone synagogue. The unlandmarked cemetery was created in the 17th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial in 19th century. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds site. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II was 0.47 hectares. 1-20 tombstones, not in original location with more than 75% of stones broken, date from 18th and 19th centuries. Five years ago [1993], more than 20 stones exists, among them 18th century gravestones. Now, [1993] only 3 stones are left. Some of the stones removed from the cemetery are part of roads or structures. The sandstone finely smoothed stones or flat stones with relief decoration have Hebrew inscription. There are no separate monuments, structures or mass graves. Municipality owns property used only as Jewish cemetery. A residential area borders the cemetery. The cemetery boundaries are smaller than in 1939 because of housing development. Private visitors stop occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and since. There has been no care or restoration. Very serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: safety, erosion, pollution, vegetation overgrowth, incompatible development. Slight threat: incompatible planned development.
      • Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 10.11.1998. Gelston visited site on 3.11.1998. Shapoval Valentin Vasilievich, town chief of Yavorov, tel.: 21562, Lvovskaya St. 32 was interviewed. Documentation: CSHA, Fond 186, Inventory 9, page 16; Slownik Geog. Krol. Polskiego, T.3, St. 519, Warszawa, 1882 (in Polish); Jewish Encyclopedia, B. 16, p. 356, St Petersburg, 1913; History of towns and villages of Ukraine, Lvov region, p.893, 894; Webersfeld Jaworow, Lwow, 1909, p.10, 16, 76 (in Polish).

      • YAVOROV II:     US Commission No. UA13520102
      • The unlandmarked cemetery is located W part of village, Zagaevich St. 1-9, in front of the Christian cemetery. Created in 1st half of 19th century, last known Orthodox Jewish burial was before June 1941, then in 1943. The isolated urban plain next to other cemeteries has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II was 0.3 hectares but now is hard to determine. 1-20 tombstones, all in their original location with more than 75% of stones broken, date from 19th and 20th centuries. Some of the removed stones are part of roads or structures in Yavorov. The sandstone, concrete and slate flat stones, finely smoothed stones with inscription, double stones, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no separate monuments or structures. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves. Municipality owns property used only as Jewish cemetery. The cemetery borders residential area. The cemetery boundaries are smaller than in 1939 because of the housing development. Private visitors stop occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized during the World War II and since. The cemetery was demolished during Soviet time. Until the 1980s, it still had cemetery status. The destruction of the recent years completely demolished vertical stones. There has been no care or restoration. Serious threat: vandalism, incompatible development;. Moderate threat: safety, pollution, and incompatible planned development. Slight threat: erosion, vegetation overgrowth.
      • Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 10.11.1998. Gelston visited site on 3.11.1998. Shapoval Valentin Vasilievich, town chief, Lvovskaya St., 32, tel: 21562 was interviewed. Documentation: CSHA, Fond 186, Inventory 9, page 16; Slownik Geog. Krol. Pol, T.3, St. 519, Warsz., 1882 (in Polish); Jewish Encyclopedia, B.16, p.356, St Petersburg, 1913; History of towns and villages of Ukraine, Lvov Rgion, p. 893, 894, Webersfeld Jaworow, Lwow, 1909, p.10, 16, 76; SALR, Fond p-3, Inventory 1, page 19.
      • YAVOROV III:     US Commission No. UA13520501
      • The mass grave is located in S of village, near electric substation, 200m left. The Orthodox mass grave was dug on 16 Apr 1943. Sudovaya Vishnya (15 km away), Krakovets (16 km away), Mostyska (32 km away), and Shklo (14 km away) Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked site. The isolated forested plain has sign or marker in local language (Ukrainian) and in Hebrew telling about Jewish community and Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. Now its size is about 0.3 hectares. One tombstone is in original location. There are broken granite stones. The oldest known gravestone on the cemetery is dated 1993. The cemetery has finely smoothed stones with inscriptions, some with metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Ukrainian. There are also some separate monuments dedicated to Holocaust victims but no structures. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property used only as Jewish cemetery that borders military zone and forest. The cemetery boundaries are larger than in 1939. Private visitors stop occasionally. The cemetery was sometimes vandalized during last 10 years. Walls and stones are covered with graffiti and graves profaned. In the forest are traces of excavation of the mass burial site. In Yavorov, gold tooth crowns were offered for sale. There are insulting signs on the monument. Jews who live within the country and abroad did 1993 restoration. Very serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: safety, incompatible development. Slight threat: erosion, pollution, vegetation overgrowth, and incompatible planned development.
      • Shapovl Valentin Vasilievich, town chief of Yavorov, Lvovskaya St., 32, tel.: 21562, was interviewed. Documentation: CALR, Fond P-3, Inventory 1, page 19; Slownik Geog. Krol. Polkiego, T.3, St. 519, Warszawa, 1882 (in Polish); Jewish Encyclopedia, B.16, p.356, St Petersburg, 1913; History of towns and villages of Ukraine, Lvov region,, p.893, 894. Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 10.11.1998. Gelston visited site on 3.11.1998.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 14:02