Alternate names: Yarmolyntsi and Ярмолинці [Ukr], Yarmolintsy and Ярмолинцы [Rus], Yarmolintza and יאַרמעליניץ [Yid], Jarmolińce [Pol], Jarmolinzy, Jarmolynci, Yarmelinitz. 9°12' N, 26°50' E, 17 miles SSW of Khmelnytskyy (Proskurov), 39 miles NNE of Kamyanets-Podilskyy. Jewish population: 2,633 (in 1897).
Russian Source with photos
: "Yarmolintsy, village, district center Khmelnitsky region, located in the upper river.Ushitza (a tributary of the Dniester River). Until 1923 - the county town Proskurovskogo Podolia. Mentioned in historical documents from the end of the XIV century. Yarmolintsy received city rights in 1567 Jews settled in Yarmolintsy in the first half of the XVIII century. in XVIII - XIX centuries. Yarmolintsy held in the largest fairs Podolsk. Since the beginning of the XIX century. spot was developed industrial center of the region (mainly - textile industry). Jewish population: 1765 - 293 Jews, 1897 - 2633 (50% of the population), in 1923 - at least 500, 1939 - 1264 ( 60%). American Jewish Distribution Committee "Joint" sent to Ukraine Israel Friedlander and Bernard Cantor, who had to learn the limitations set on the Polish-Soviet border. In July 1920 they crossed the Polish-Soviet border with the intention to get to Kiev. However, before they reached Kiev. In Yarmolintsy they were captured by soldiers of the Red Army and July 10, 1920 Shabbat shot before a crowd of witnesses as "Polish spies." J. Friedlander and B. Cantor were buried in the Jewish cemetery in Yarmolintsy. Nazi occupation of the times shows the Black Book "In Yarmolintsy Jews resisted for two days. Weapons were prepared in advance: it brought together with household goods. It was in the Presidio. The first cop who penetrated there to select the party doomed Jews killed, his corpse thrown out the window. Gunfire, and killed several policemen. The next day, police trucks arrived from neighboring areas. Only in the evening, when the Jews ran out of ammunition, entered the besieged town. Penalty lasted for three days. If the resistance were killed 16 policemen, including the police chief and five Germans. In other buildings of the Presidio observed suicides. Father threw out the windows of two children, and then rushed down with my wife ... " At the Jewish prisoners of war and also contained (perhaps even from the same part). And they were able to get a gun and raise a rebellion. Yarmolintsy became a place of mass execution of Jews Kamenetz-Podolsk region during the Second World War: in late October - early November 1942 there were over 26,000 Jews were shot. in 2013. Jews do not live in YarmolintsyLukin, "100 Jewish towns in Ukraine" Detailed photos. photohunt.org.ua / Jarmolincy.html
v. YARMOLINTSY I: US Commission No. UA22240101
- v. Yarmolintsy is located in Khmelnitskaya. v. Yarmolintsy Alternate name: Jarmolince (Yiddish), Yarmolinits (German), Yarmolinyza (Polish) and Yarmolintsi (Ukraine). The town is location at 48º45 29º17, 35 km from Khmelnitskiy, 140 km from Kamenets-Podolskiy and 169 km from Uman. The cemetery is located west in the forest, 300m from the hightway to v. Kodeevka. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
- Town officials: Yarmolintsy Rayispolkom, Derevyanko Aleksandr Aleksandrovich (23167). Regional: Yarmolintsy Regional Dept. of Culture-Suslyak Aleksandr Dmitrievich [Phone: 23273]. Oblispolkom, Guseynikov Evgeniy Yakovlevich (03822) 65025. Oblast Dept. of Culture, Slobodyanyuk Petr Yaroslavovich (03822) 65045.
- Khmelnitskiy Jewish Community, Zeleniy Mikhail (03822) 63047.
- The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 2700. Effecting the Jewish Community was 1648-49 Khmelnitskiy's pogroms. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 1910 with last known Hasidic burial 1980. The isolated suburban wooded flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public property, access is open to all. A broken fence with no gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1910. Locations of removed stones are unknown. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns site now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are forest. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and frequently in the last ten years. Jewish individuals abroad and Jewish groups within country did re-erection of stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1945-48. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing both graves and stones. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and existing nearby development.
- Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya St. 17D, Apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site on 6/12/95. Interviewed was Rodetskiy S.A. of Yarmolintsy on 6/12/95. Oks completed survey on 05/16/1995.
- v. YARMOLINTSY II: US Commission No. UA22240501
- The mass grave is located at 200m S at railstation. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. Jews from no other towns or villages were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The urban, flat land has signs or plaques in local language mentioning Jews. Reached by other, access is open with permission. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. Stones date from 1992. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are "other." Occasionally, organized individual tours visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Now, occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Slight threat: existing nearby development.
- Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya St. 17D, Apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site on 6/12/95. Interviewed was Radetskiy S.A. of Yarmolintsy on 6/15/94. Oks completed survey on 06/15/1995.