YANOV: US Commission No. UA13470101
Alternative names: German: Janow Polish: Janow. It is located in Lvovskaya oblast at 49º55' 41º24', 22 km from Lvov. The cemetery is located at the west part of the village, Doroshenko St. 1-5. Present town population is 1000-5000, but no Jews.
The earliest mention of Jewish community is 1614. 1935 Jewish population was 916. An event that should be mentioned Ukrainian-Polish war (1648-1655). The unlandmarked cemetery was created is 18th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial before June 1941. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open with permission. No wall or fence surrounds the cemetery. There are no gate, separate monuments, or mass graves. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II was 0.96 hectares. There are no visible tombstones. More than 75% of stones were broken. A private person owns site used as Jewish cemetery with part used for private houses. The cemetery borders residential area. The cemetery boundaries are smaller than in 1939 because of the residential development. Rarely, local citizens visit. The cemetery was vandalized during the World War II and since. No care or restoration. Within the cemetery are private houses. Cemetery destruction took place during German occupation, but it was completely demolished under Soviets, at end of 1960s. After that, local citizens built on the cemetery land. The Bet Tahara is rebuilt in house at Doroshenko St. 3. Very serious threat: vandalism, incompatible development Moderate threat: safety, incompatible planned development. Slight threat: erosion, pollution, and vegetation overgrowth.
- Town officials: Village Soviet Chairman Mikhailo Mikhailovich Fedak. Village Soviet is on the corner of central square at turn to Yavorov.
- Regional officials: Lvov Regional State Administration, Lvov Vinnichenko St. 18, reception room, tel.: 722947, 728093. Lvov Center State Historical Archives (CSHA), Sobornaya Square 3a.
- Lvov Jewish Community, Lvov Mikhnovskih St. 4, Rabbi Mordekhai Shloime Bold, tel.: 330524. The locked cemetery key is kept on Doroshenko St, 3, 5 but there is no caretaker.
Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 7.11.1998. Gelston visited site on 28.10.1998. Albina Poldovna Veshner, Lelekhivskaya St., 5, was interviewed. Documentation: CSHA, Fond 186, Inventory 8, page 7; Metrika Koronna (Pol.Krol.), nr.157, k.194v (in Polish); Katakhism of Lvov Archdiocese of Greek-Catholic Church, p.348, 349, Lvov, 1935; Slownik Geogr. Krol. Pols, T.3, p. 423, Warsz., 1882 (in Polish); Jewish Encyclopedia, B.16, p.403, St Petersburg, 1913.