YAGOTIN Print
YAGOTIN I:     US Commission No. UA09170101
Alternate name: Jagotin (Russian) and Jagotina (Ukraine). Yagotin is located in Kievskaya at 50º17 31º46, 88 km from Kiev. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 11-100 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1882. 1939 Jewish population was 1431. Effecting the Jewish Community was 1941-1943 Holocaust. The last known Hasidic burial was 1933. Unlandmarked The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 21 to 100 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from1933. Locations of removed stones are unknown. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The cemetery property is now used for "other." Properties adjacent are agricultural and "other." The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem. Serious threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: pollution and vegetation.
Tsyauk Vladimir Trofimovich of Kiev, Kvitneviy Per. 12, Apt. 95 [Phone: (044) 4176555] visited site on 8/16/94. Interviewed were not listed. Tsyauk completed survey on 08/16/1994.
YAGOTIN II:     US Commission No. UA09170102
Alternate names: Yagotina (Yiddish) and Jagotin (Polish). The town is located at 50º17 31º46, Yagotin is 104 km from Kiev. The cemetery is located at NE outskirts of the town, Shidniy Per. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
  • Town officials: Mayor of the town, Osaulenko Dmitry Dmitrievich of 116, Nezavisimosti St. Town Soviet [Phone: (275) 55358].
  • Regional: Regional Dept. of Architecture, Chief architect-Harchov Nikolay Alexeevich [Phone: (275) 55590] and Regional State Archives of Kievskaya Oblast.
The earliest known Jewish community was in the 19th century. The Jewish population was in 1926 was 1423. Effecting the Jewish community was 1918 Petlura pogroms. The last known Hasidic burial was 1953. Lizogubova Sloboda (20 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.01 hectares. 1 to 20 stones date from 1939. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns site now used for Jewish cemetery and agricultural use (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation constantly until 1941. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism (After World War, the cemetery was destroyed by the authorities and plundered.) Serious threat: pollution (On cemetery land is agricultural dump), existing and proposed nearby development (Near the cemetery, housing was built that probably will expand). Moderate threat: weather erosion (constant problem) and vegetation (constant problem).
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 23/08/96. Vaisband Iosif Efimovich of 4 akhimova St. [Phone: (275) 55550] was interviewed on 23/08/96.
YAGOTIN III:     US Commission No. UA09170501
See YAGOTIN I for town information. The mass grave is located at E outskirts of town in the cemeterywith last known Jewish burial was in 10.10.1941. Jews from no other towns or villages were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The suburban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in their original location with none removed, date from the 20th century. The mass grave has tombstones with traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for the Jewish part on the non-Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities cleared vegetation annually. Now, occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: weather erosion (seasonal), pollution, vegetation (seasonal), existing or proposed nearby development. No threat: vandalism.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 23/08/96. Mekler Sima Abramovna of 7 Gaydamatsky Per. [Phone: (275) 21171] was interviewed on 23/08/96.