VILSK: US Commission No. UA05500101
Vilsk is located in Zhitomirskaya. The cemetery is located at centr, coner Lenina & Chapaeva St. Vilsk is 20 km from Zhitomir and 20 km from Chernyakhov. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1848. The Jewish population (census) 186 was 1926. Effecting the Jewish Community were Jewish colony:, established 1848 and evicted 1939 with last known Jewish burial was 1930. Jewish community was Hasidic. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. No stones are visible. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality and private individual(s) own property now used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of new roads or highways, housing development and agriculture. The cemetery was vandalized prior to World War II but not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Very serious threat: vandalism and existing nearby development. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and proposed nearby development. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
- Town officials: Village Council of Primak Valeriy Petrovich [Phone: (071) 22269]. Local officials: Village Council of Primak Valeriy Petrovich [Phone: (071) 95442].
- Others: Oleshkevich Olga Artemovna of Vilsk, Lenina St.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt. 42. [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site on 15/10/1995. Interviewed was Olyshkevich Olga Artemovna of Vilsk on 15/10/1995. Kogan completed survey on 22/10/1995. Documentation: Jewish Encyclopaedia.