VERBA: US Commission No. UA17020101
Verba is located in Rovenskaya at 53º5 25º8, 80 km from Rovno. The cemetery is located between Village VerbaPtiga. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17-18th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 2000. The Jewish cemetery was established in 18th- 19th century with last known Hasidic burial 1941. Jewish community was. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, crossing other public property and crossing private property, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 1 to 20 common tombstones with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th to 20th century. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns Jewish cemetery property use for agriculture (crops or animal grazing) and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. Rarely, organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups visit. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing both graves and stones. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access and vegetation. Slight threat: vandalism.
Kirzhner Moisey Davidovich of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prosp. 18, Apt. 38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site on 10/27/94 and Dubovskaya N. Interviewed on 10/27/94 was Dubovskaya N. Kirzhner completed survey on 10/27/1994.