MEZHIRICHI (VELIKIYE MEZHIRICHI ): : Rivne oblast Print

Alternate names: MEZHYRICHI [UKR], MEZERITCH KATAN [HEB], MEZERICH and Межерич  [RUS], MIĘDZYRZECZ [POL], MIĘDZYRZECZ OSTROGSKI, MEZHIRICHI-OSTROZHSKIYE, MENZHIRICHI, MENDZIZHECH, MEZHYRICH, MEZYRIC. is a village in the Korets Raion of the Rivne Oblast in western Ukraine, 50°18' N, 26°29' E , 13 miles W of Korets, 27 miles E of Rivne. 3 miles SW of Ostroh (Ostróg), 17 miles W of Slavuta, 18 miles SE of Zdolbunov (Zdołbunów), 24 miles SSE of Rivne (Rovno). [Not Mezhirichi at 50°39' 26°52' (aka Międzyrzec Korzecki, Mezeritch Gadol)]. 1900 Jewish population: 456

VELIKIYE MEZHIRICHI I:     US Commission No. UA17070501

Alternate name: Menzhichi (Yiddish), Menzyczy (German) and Kahan Mezyczy (Hungarian). Velikiye Mezhirichi is located in Rovenskaya at 50º18 26º29, 38 km from Rovno. The mass grave is located at NW near Marcet. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town officials: Village Executive Council-Demchuk Galina Vladimirovna [Phone: (0365) 131340].
  • Regional: Bureau of Memorial Protection, Oblast Local History Museum of Rovno, Dragomanova 19 [Phone: (03622) 21833]. State Oblast Archive of Rovno, Moskovskaya St., 26a [Phone: (03622) 33004].
  • Jewish Community of Rovno, Shkolnaya St. 39 [Phone: (03622) 69993].
  • The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 208. Effecting the Jewish Community were Khmelnitskiy's pogroms and World War I. The Jewish mass grave was dug in June 1942 with last known Hasidic burial Sept. 1942. Gorogische (10 km away) and Stolpin (10 km away) Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has signs or plaques in local language and in Hebrew mentioning Jews and the Holocaust. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1992. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Rarely, organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The mass grave was not vandalized in the last ten years. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish groups within country did re-erection of stones, cleared vegetation, fixed wall and fixed gate in 1992. Occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
  • Kirzhner Moisey of 263005, Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, Apt. 38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site on 27/09/1996. Interviewed were Bubnyuk Galina Ilinichna of 1st May Str [Phone: (03651) 31249] on 26/07/1996. Kirzhner completed survey on 27/09/1996. Documentation: See section 14 [sic].

VELIKIYE MEZHIRICHI II:     US Commission No. UA17070101

The cemetery is located at E, Tserkovnaya St., 35 (old: 17 Veresnya St.). The Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Karlin-Stolin Hasidic burial 1942. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. The isolated suburban agricultural hillside and crown of a hill has signs or plaques in local language and signs or plaques in Yiddish mentioning Jews. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with no gate surrounds the cemetery. 1 to 20 common tombstones, none in original location with more than 75% toppled, date from 19th to 20th century. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, organized Jewish group tours, pilgrimage groups visit, and Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish groups within country fixed wall and fixed gate in 1995. Occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Serious threat: weather erosion (The tombstones fall.). Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vegetation.

Kirzhner Moisey of 263005, Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, Apt. 38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site on 26/09/1996. Interviewed were Bubnyuk Galina Ilinichna of 265250, Velikiye Mezhirichi, 1st May St., [Phone: (03651) 31299] on 26/09/1996. Kirzhner completed survey on 27/09/1996.

 

Photos of monument and site of former Jewish cemetery courtesy This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [August 2011]

 

Esther Gilbert's caption for 2nd photograph below:

A plaque, in Ukrainian and Hebrew, on the white brick monument erected in 1995, Mezrichi Jewish cemetery:  "Memorial Plaque for the ancient cemetery of the Mezeritch community and its surroundings, Placed here by the remains of the Mezeritch community in Israel and elsewhere in the year 5755 - 1995."

 

Esther Gilbert's caption for the 4th photograph in the second row:

Hebrew inscription:  "OHEL ZIKARON (TENT OF REMEMBRANCE)  SHTIEBEL
Steps and fences of the old cemetery of the great Mezritch.
Renovated with the donation of Erwin and Rivka Baker of blessed memory, of Michigan, U.S.A
With the help and donations of the ex-residents of Mezritch and their descendants from Israel, America and Canada.  Consecrated by Steven Gershman, Michigan, US.A
Dedicated July, 2005."

 

 

 

 

Last Updated on Saturday, 24 August 2013 22:25