VCHERAYSHE Print
VCHERAYSHE I:     US Commission No. UA05290101
Vcherayshe is located in Zhitomirskaya, 20 km from Ruzhin and 40 km from Berdichev. The cemetery is located at W, right from road to Chernorudka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
  • Town officials: Village CouncilPleh Anatoliy Vladimirovich [Phone: 21570].
  • Pavlovskaya Betya Isaakovna, 1915 [Phone: 93270].
The earliest known Jewish community was 1784. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 1072. Effecting the Jewish Community was 1919 Pogrom. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known Hasidic burial 1982. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with 50%-75% toppled, date from 1906. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns Jewish cemetery property and mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing stones. Serious threat: vegetation. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt. 42. [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site on 12/7/95. Interviewed were Pavlovskaya Betya Isaakovna of Sadovaya St. on 12/7/94. Kogan completed survey on 01/08/1995.
VCHERAYSHE II:     US Commission No. UA05290501
The mass grave is located at 600 m S from railroad station. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Jewish burial 1942. No other towns or villages Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public forest, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1952. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are forest. Rarely, local residents visit. This site was not vandalized. There was re-erection of stones in 1952. Occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Moderate threat: vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt. 42. [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site on 12/7/95. Interviewed were Pavlovskaya Betya Isaakovna of Sadovaya St. on 12/7/95. Kogan completed survey on 01/08/1995.