VARYAZH: US Commission No. UA13090101
Alternate name: Warez (German) and Warez Miasto (Polish). The cemetery is located at W of town near the frontier post. The town is located at 50º31 24º6, 75 km from L'vov, 17 km from Sokal' and 16 km from Belz. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1931 Jewish population was 640. The last known Hasidic burial was in WWII. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.60 hectares. 1 to 20 common tombstones, date from 1896. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns property now used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural and frontier post. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (free access). Slight threat: pollution, vegetation and vandalism. No threat: weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.
- Local officials: Regional Soviet, Chairman Naumchuk.
- Regional: Soviet of L'vovskaya Oblast, Chairman Goryn'. Museum of Local History, Sokal' and Historical Museum, L'vov.
- Jewish Community of L'vovskaya Oblast.
Aberman S.E. of Apt. 2, 4 Novakovskogo St., L'vov [Phone: (0322) 724687] visited site and completed survey on 03/10/95.