VARVAROVKA: US Commission No. UA05560501
The mass grave is located at NW, on the land of building materials factory. Varvarovka is located in Zhitomirskaya, 4 km from Olevsk and 187 km from ZhitomiR. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1721. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 2916. Effecting the Jewish Community was Holocaust murder of 900 Jews. The Hasidic Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. Olevsk (4 km away) Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public building materials factory, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall with a locking gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1980. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. This site was not vandalized. Regional/national authorities did re-erection of stones, cleared vegetation and fixed wall in 1980. Occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation, and existing and proposed nearby development.
- Town officials: Village Executive Council Chairman Korchiha Olga. Village Executive Council, Chairman Korchiha Olga.
- Regional: Cultural Memorial Protection Society of Zhitomir, Mikhaylovskaya St. 10a [Phone: (0412) 370807]. Regional Dept. of Culture of Olevsk, 50 let Oktyabrya St., 34. Oblast State Archive of Zhitomir, 8 March St., Shapiro Lyubov Isaakovna of Olevsk, Lenina St. 15, Apt 7 [Phone: (04135) 21665].
- Key holder: the cemetery is locked, but key location is unknown.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt. 42 [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site on 24/06/1996. Kogan completed survey on 25/06/1996. Documentation: Zhitomir State Archive Fond 2636, op. 1, d 16 (p.245).