You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine VAPNYARKA [VAPNIARCA, WAPNIARKA , VAPNIARKA, WAPNJARKA] [Vinnytsia oblast ]

Alternate names: Vapnyarka and Вапнярка  [Rus, Ukr], Vapniarca [Rom], Wapniarka [Pol], Vapniarka, Wapnjarka. 48°32' N, 28°46' E, 45 miles E of Mohyliv-Podilskyy, 30 miles NE of Yampol, 11 miles SSW of Tulchin. In Trasnistria during WWII. Jewish population: 370 (in 1897), 711 (in 1939).


railway settlement Tomashpil region Vinnytsia region, until 1923 settlement Timanovskoy parish Yampolsky county Podolsk province of the same name at the station of Odessa-Kiev railway.Vapnyarka station was built in 1870 for laying the South Western Railway and got its name from the nearby village. In this village since the end of the 17th century. A small number of Jews lived ( census of Jews community Tulchin 1784 in the village of 8 Vapnyarnya Jews). Jews began to settle in Vapnyarka since its inception, although according to the "Temporary Regulations" of 1882 Jews were forbidden in the countryside . In 1897, 370 Jews lived Vapnyarka (49% of the population). Permit Jews were legal only in 1903, when a special resolution of the Jewish settlement discovered 291 village, including Vapnyarka..Probably because of the ban Jews from acquiring land in the countryside Vapnyarka, there was no Jewish cemetery; Jews buried in the neighboring towns. At the beginning of 20th century. in Vapnyarka was 85 homes and a little less than 800 people, half of them Jews. The train station was formed Jewish town trade where markets were held on Fridays. Jews held about 30 different shops, as well as specific railway stations shops, agricultural machines (three),, four forest warehouses and kerosene. In the settlement was a synagogue. Autumn pogroms in 1905 came along railways of the Southwestern Region. In Vapnyarka Black Hundreds  thugs arrived by train from Odessa October 20,1905. With the support of the local population a few hours they plundered Jewish shops and homes. During the Civil War in Vapnyarka  self-defense of railroad workers was cre ated, but proved to be unreliable, and many Jews fled to Tomashpol. May 18, 1919, 60 (85 according to other sources) Vapnyarskih Jews were gathered at the station and killed by a Volynetsgang, from 8 to 10 July Bessarabian borough Regiment troops plundered the Directory, and in December - Denikin. In 1923, 569 Jews lived Vapnyarka . From 1923 to 1930. Vapnyarka was a district center. Synagogue Vapnyarka operated until the mid-1920s. Before WWII in 1939, the Jewish population was 711 people (20% of the population). By July 22, 1941, when German troops occupied Vapnyarka, most local Jews were able to evacuate. The remaining 30 Jews were deported to Tulchin. Romanian occupation management was established in the Autumn. In the barracks a concentration camp was organized . In October 1941 for near thousands of Jews from Odessa, and Ukrainians-criminals and about a hundred Baptists. By June 1942 about two hundred Jews died of typhus. The rest were taken to Ochakova and shot. In September 1942, Vapnyar sky camp was declared political. In it were placed about 1,200 Romanian Jews, accused of being Communists, among them prominent Communists and Social Democrats. The camp consisted of three two-storey barracks surrounded by three rows of barbed wire. Spring 1943, about four hundred inmates of the camp were placed in various ghettos in Transnistria. In October, the camp was closed and the remaining inmates sent to the Romanian prison. After the war, a large railway junction Vapnyarka lived several hundred Jews, mostly moved there from the small neighboring villages. Until the mid-1960s. in the village had its Shoikhet, and until the mid-1970s. in a private home was going to minyan. In the 1970s. in Vapnyarka lived about a hundred Jews. In 2012, Jews do not live in Vapnyarka Lukin, "100 Jewish towns in Ukraine" Detailed description of the photo on. / Vapnyarka.html



  • VAPNYARKA: may be buried at Komargorod and Tomashpol
  • US Commission No. UA01390501
  • Alternate name: Vapnyarka (Yiddish). Vapnyarka is located in Vinnitskaya at 48º32 28º46, 19 km from Tomashpol, 20 km from Tulchin and 82 km from Vinnitza. The mass grave is located at E outskirts by railroad to Hristinovka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with 11-100 Jews.
  • Town officials: Region Executive Committee in Tomashpol, Chairman Kovalchuk Vitaliy Semenovich [Phone: (04348) 21205].
  • Regional: Tomashpol Regional Dept. of Culture, Okhota Igor Iosifovich. Vinnitsa Oblast Executive Committee, Chairman Melnik Nikolay Evtikhovich. Vinnitsa Oblast Dept. of Culture, Chairman Ilchuk Nikolay Nikolayevich. Others: Vinnitsa Oblast Dept. of Jewish Culture, Chairman Gubenko Bella Aronovna.
  • The earliest known Jewish community was end 19th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 667. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1919 Pogroms, end 1920s. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1942. Bessarabia (100 km away) Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall or fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. The site contains unmarked mass graves. Municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Rarely, local residents visit. The mass grave was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation, vandalism and existing nearby development. Slight threat: weather erosion and proposed nearby development.
  • Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Ukraine, Odessa, Varnenskaya 17D, Apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site in 07/1994 in 04/1992. Interviewed was Kosiborod S.Y. of St. Vapnyary in 04/1994. Oks completed survey on 03/09/1995. Documentation: Odessa Oblast State Archive Fond P-2255, on. 1, d-1157, 1189, 1309, 1364.

[UPDATE] Photos of village and Jewish cemetery by This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [August 2015]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 January 2018 04:47
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution