You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine UZHGOROD

Alternate names: Uzhhorod and Ужгород [Ukr], Uzhgorod and Ужгород [Rus], Užhorod [Cz, Slov], Ungvár [Hun], Ungvir and אונגוואר [Yid], Ungwar [Ger], Użhorod [Pol], Uschurod, Ingver, Yngvyr. 48°37' N, 22°18' E, Largest city in Zakarpatska Oblast, in SW corner of Ukraine, near border with Slovakia. Wikipedia. Jewish history. [June 2011]

Mass Grave: Located by the city's chief rabbi, Mendel Teichman, who recently discovered an open area in the local Jewish cemetery and unfenced with no headstones. Historical documents reveal the site as a mass grave for more than 200 Jews killed by the Nazis during the Holocaust.


UZHGOROD:     US Commission No. UA06010101
Alternate names: Ungvar (Yiddish), Ungvar (German), Ungvar (Hungarian), Uzhhorod (Czech) and Uzhorod (Russian). Uzhgorod is located in Zakarpatskaya at 48º37 22º18, 189km from Lvov. The cemetery is located at Kotlyarevskogo St. Present town population is over 100,000 with 1,001-10,000 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in this town was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 7357. The unlandmarked Hasidic cemetery was established in 16th century with last known Jewish burial on Nov. 22, 1993. The isolated cemetery location has signs or plaques in local language and Yiddish mentioning "other." Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, all in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 18th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has special sections for men, women, rabbis and Cohanim. Some tombstones have bronze decorations or lettering and/or portraits on stones. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery use and "other." Property adjacent is "other." The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of "other." Frequently, organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Local non-Jewish residents cleared vegetation, fixed wall and fixed gate. Now occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house and an ohel. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage at the cemetery is a constant problem. Very serious threat: existing nearby development. Serious threat: uncontrolled access. Moderate threat: vegetation.
Puzner Ber Aronovich of Minayskaya Street 34/21 [Phone: 23608] visited site on 11/30/93 with Mashkovich Maer of Tsvetnaya St. 19, Apt. 2 and Mashkovich Gerish of Tsvetnaya St. 17 [Phone: 25096]. Person(s) interviewed were Mashkovich M. of Tsvetnaya St. 19, Apt. 2 and Mashkovich G. of Tsvetnaya St. 17 [Phone: 25096]. Puzner completed survey on 12/08/1993 with Mashkovich and Mashkovich.
PIn Transcarpathia, SSW of Lviv. Rabbi of the Transcarpathian Oblast: Rabbi C. Hoffman, Boulevard Lenina 5-Kvartira 13, Mukacevo. Telephone: 38 03131 29880, FAX: 41151. The isolated urban flat land has Jewish symbols on gate/wall. A continuous masonry wall and locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 500-5,000 gravestones are visible in any condition with less than 25% broken or topped. Vegetation is not a problem. Tombstones are finely smoothed/inscribed stones. Adjacent properties are commercial/industrial and residential. Diane Goldman, ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) 4977 Battery Lane, Bethesda MD 20814 visited the site on 7 August 1998 and completed the survey on 1 March 1999.

[UPDATE] Jewish Cemetery Headstones Destroyed by Vandals [August 2015]

[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]


Last Updated on Monday, 11 April 2016 22:47
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution