UGNIV: US Commission No. UA13080101
Alternate name: Hovniv (German), Univ (Hungarian) and Uhnov (Polish). The town is located at 50º22 23º45, 62km from L'vov and 40km from Sokal'. The cemetery is located at SW outskirts, near the entrance to the town. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with no Jews.
-- Town officials: 2, L.Ukrainki Street of Town Soviet [Phone: (257) 54434].
-- Regional: Regional Soviet, Chairman Naumchuk Stepan Semenovich [Phone: (257) 46210]. Soviet of L'vovskaya Oblast, Chairman Goryn'. Historical Museum. L'vov.
-- Jewish Community of L'vovskaya Oblast
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1931 Hasidic population was 1880. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public property (hospital), access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.81 and is now 0.12 hectares. 1 to 20 common tombstones, none in their original location, date from 1869. Stones removed were incorporated into roads or structures. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery use, industrial or commercial use, storage and waste dumping. Property adjacent is commercial or industrial. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of commercial or industrial development. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery is hospital. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and existing nearby development. Moderate threat: weather erosion (seasonal), vegetation (seasonal), vandalism and proposed nearby development.
Aberman S.E. of Apt. 2, 4 Novakovskogo St., L'vov [Phone: (0322) 724687] visited and completed survey on 09/10/95.
[UPDATE] Photos of Uhniv, Buchach and Hrymailiv [January 2015]
[UPDATE] Photos of Uhniv (Ugniv) [January 2015]
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]