TULIGOLOVO: US Commission No. UA18170501
The mass grave is located at village center on Proletarskaya St. Tuligolovo is 50 km from Konotop and 18 km from Krolevets. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. Effecting the Jewish community were 1881 and 1905 pogroms and Civil War with last known Khabad Hasidic burial in 1941. No Jews from other towns or villages were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence or gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location, date from 20th century. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have iron decorations or lettering and/or metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property now used for the mixed burial, Jewish mainly. Adjacent properties are residential. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Local/municipal authorities cleaned stones and cleared vegetation 1967 to 1996. Now, authorities clear or clean occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Slight threat: pollution and vandalism.
- Town officials: Village Soviet Chairman Menshun Anatoly Grigorievich [Phone: (05453) 76331].
- Regional State Dept. Chairman Petrusenko Anatoly Nikolaevich [Phone: (05453)51575]. State Dept. Chairman Epifanov.
- Town officials: Jewish Community of Sumy. Others: Vos'mirova L.V. [Phone: (05422)].
Khodorkovsky Yuri Isaakovich of Apt. 23, 37A Vozduhoflotsky Prospect, Kiev [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site and completed survey on 12 & 23/10/96. No interviews.