You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine TULCHIN [TUL'CHYN , TULTCHIN TULCIN , TULCZYN , , TULCIÎN, TULTSCHIN, TULTSCHYN, TOULTCHYN, TUŁČYN: Vinnitskaya oblast
TULCHIN [TUL'CHYN , TULTCHIN TULCIN , TULCZYN , , TULCIÎN, TULTSCHIN, TULTSCHYN, TOULTCHYN, TUŁČYN: Vinnitskaya oblast PDF Print E-mail

Tulchin shield Alternate names: Tul'chyn [Ukr], Tul'chin and Тульчин [Rus], Tultchin [Yid], Tulczyn [Pol], Tulcin [Rom], Tulciîn, Tultschin, Tultschyn, Toultchyn, Tułčyn

48°41' N, 28°52' E, 51 miles ENE of Mohyliv-Podilskyy (Mogilev-Podolsk), 42 miles SSE of Vinnytsya (Vinnitsa), 20 miles S of Nemirov, 11 miles SSW of Bratslav.. Jewish popuation: 10,055 (in 1897)

SOURCE with photos: "Tulchin (in the first half of the XVII century. - Nestervar), city, regional center of Vinnitsa region, until 1923 - the county town Bratslavskogo Podolia. Since 1607 called Nestervar settlement mentioned in Acts Lublin corona Tribunal (the highest appellate court for land Little Poland, Volyn, Kyiv and Bratslav provinces) in connection with settling here fugitive peasants. At the same acts in 1613 and the name was first mentioned Tulchin. In other documents, XVII century found both the city's name - and Nestervar Tulchin. Probably Jews were among the first inhabitants of Tulchin. Some, however, extremely vague idea of the Jewish population of the city on the eve of the Khmelnytsky information can be obtained from the defenders and victims Tulchin infamous massacres here Cossacks In summer 1648 Jewish Chronicle presents different information "gathered there to two thousand Jews" writes p. Nathan Note Hannover "Yeven metsula" ("bottomless Abyss"). should also be borne in mind that among the victims of the tragedy were Tulchin and refugees from other settlements edge. The author of "Titus Gayaven" defined number Tulchin Jewish community in 100 householders in other words, the city had about 100 Jewish homes. Assuming that these data are close to reality, that in these houses could accommodate about 600 people (an average of six people in the family). In historical studies, the Jewish population of Tulchin in XVII century. often estimated at 2,000 people, apparently based on the reports of the most popular Jewish chronicles Khmelnitchyna period. Anyway, Tulchinskiy congregation was one of the biggest and well-known for Bratslavshchina. It is possible that in the local yeshiva, headed by p.Ieoshua-son Aaron p. Meir of Lviv, studied Jewish youngsters from nearby settlements. During the next few decades restless Jews are not mentioned in the Polish documents related to the history of Tulchin, who became under contract Zbarouski 1649 hundreds of cities Bratslavskogo Regiment. Due diligence Saleziya Francis (nicknamed "Prince of Russia ") and, mostly, his son Felix Stanislaw Potocki, Tulchin, despite the troubled history of the region in the XVIII century, became a major trade and industrial and cultural center Bratslav. Stanislav Felix moved here from the family residence Kristinopolya after the partition of Poland in 1772 appeared on the territory of Austrian Galicia. Perhaps the only evidence that the existence of the Jewish community of Tulchin in these times is not interrupted, can serve as a tombstone in 1732, discovered in the old Jewish cemetery: it is installed on the grave of Rabbi Avraham son r.Shaulya. Recovery ordered Jewish community life on Bratslavshchina proceeded in turbulent atmosphere raids Haidamak gangs, the occurrence of which relates to the 1717 official documents. Tulchin Jewish community, while still in 1765 on average number of communities in the province by the end of the XVIII century. became one of the most significant in the region.Census 1765 counted 307 Jews in the city and 6 - in the suburbs. To Tulchin community were also attributed to the Jews from 22 neighboring villages (eg, 22 Jews lived Timanovke in Kopievke - 9). In total there were 452 Jewish community; census assured Rabbi Kelman Abelovich, "quarterly" Michael Leibowitz and "schoolboy" Yitzhak Volovich. Towards the end of the XVIII century. Tulchin became the largest Jewish settlement in the region, ahead largest Jewish community Nemirova. At the turn of the century there were 1313 Jews here (in Nemiroff - 958).Increase the Jewish population more than quadrupled in the last third of the XVIII century. coincided with the period of improvement of the city its new owner Stanislav Felix Potocki. Another factor in the growth of the Jewish community has been the emergence of Tulchin an important center of the Hasidic movement. Composition of the population represented in the village of topographical description follows: gentry, had their estates, -11 people, shallow "chinshevoy" gentry - 57 (10 yards), the ministers of the owner's yard - 87 (4 yard), Orthodox duhovenstva18 (2 yard), the Catholic clergy - 13 men (who lived probably in the monastery), burghers in 1511 (246 yards), the Germans - 20 (3 yard), French - 11 (2 yard) , Greeks - 6, Roma - 8, Jews - 1313 (297 yards). In 1796 - 1797 years here was the headquarters of the commander Alexander Suvorov. Permanent presence of a significant military contingent, the many and varied needs of the army and army officials favored the development Tulchinsk market provided employment to artisans of all disciplines and traders of all ranks, and subsequently fenced Tulchin community from 1881-1882, pogroms. and of 1905-1906. Tulchin Jewish community numbered at the turn of XVIII-XIX centuries, more than 1 300 people, possessed a synagogue and two kloyzami ("Jewish rock school with two similar prishkolkami"). The results of measurements of the ruins of the synagogue, made ​​in 1948, the likelihood, before the demolition, saying that the building was a traditional plan: root in terms of two tiers of windows main hall area of about 400 m2 was surrounded on three sides (except the east) one-story porches. In 1832 to the merchant class of Tulchin owned 27 Jews and one Christian. Such amount of guild merchants had no other city in the region. Local merchants were trading with the major cities in the south of the Russian Empire, as well as abroad. in 1889. Tulchinskaya community numbered 15,000 people, there were 14 officially registered "spiritual boards" at the synagogue and prayer houses. Place where he lived county official rabbi, possess, respectively, the status of county Jewish center. At the beginning of XX century in Tulchin was 2500 households and 23252 inhabitants. A congregation synagogue and 18 houses of worship, as well as its own hospital, the children received a traditional education in more than 70 heders. In his role as the state rabbi at this time was Yakov Ieuda Grinshpun. All four doctors and a dentist city were Jews. Through ownership or lease, Jews owned all industrial enterprises. pogroms during the Civil War was not spared Tulchin party. Brutal massacre was a massacre in Tulchin the night of July 31 to August 1, 1919 a large bandit compound led by the same Lyahovtsa. According to a Jew hiding from thugs in the village, representatives of the Orthodox intellectuals contributed pogrom, which was the organizational center of Ukrainian cooperative partnership. At the same time, local farmers are mostly not involved in the massacre, but rather provided a haven for many Jews of Tulchin. Every Jew encountered bandits declared communist and killed. According to the report the committee of Vinnitsa assistance to victims of pogroms in Tulchin killed 222 Jews, after a pogrom in the city were 106 widows and 398 orphans. In 1925 there was formed the Jewish local council. In 1926, Tulchin officially became a town, and with the formation of Vinnytsia region in 1932 became a district center. In 1925 the district passed Tulchin campaign liquidation of Jewish Religious Communities, which resulted in the majority of houses of worship of the city and county were closed.You're only a small number of synagogues, one of which was on the New Bazaar.Before the war, in 1939, 5607 Jews lived here (42% of the population). July 23, 1941 German troops almost without a fight entered Tulchin. Germans drove the Jews in Kaptsanovku, district quarters of the Jewish poor, here and a ghetto was established (according to old-timers, it happened on Yom Kippur in 1941.) From eyewitness: "The Germans have gone for Bug. Romanians and Magyars left. Romanians were ordered to wear a black circle and a yellow star on it. There was no water and food.Go beyond the ghetto allowed until eight at night. Jews were beaten in the market Romanians and local policemen. Men are generally not allowed to leave the ghetto.Chased a job to disassemble the ruins and rubble after the bombings. Rooted out forest, logs were loaded into boxcars. We are constantly guarded by armed soldiers and dogs. Labor exchange we were given 180 grams of bread a day. " In established in September 1941, the Romanian province of "Transnistria" Tulchin became the center of the eponymous district administration headed by a prefect; located in the headquarters of the gendarmerie legion. In accordance with the order of the civil governor of Transnistria Aleksyanu on November 11, 1941 Settlement of Jews in the so-called "colonies", 3005 Jews were deported Tulchin December 13, 1941 (the feast of Hanukkah) in a "colony" in Pecheri. According to the recollections of Svetlana Kogan -Rabinovich, "In the ghetto was posted order: we all deported to the death camp Caves" Deadlock ", and if we want to stay alive, must pay a ransom on the list. Was a long queue. Everyone tried to get on the list and make a ransom.Statement gold teeth pulled ticks. Regardless of the list, were all sent to the death camp. Sick and elderly pulled on a stretcher. 80 people committed suicide. They were buried in two graves in Tulchin, which is now without any monument. Before being sent to the camp we were herded into the school, Polizei helped Romanians and Hungarians. At school we were kept for three days. It was crowded. Could only stand. No food, water is also not allowed. The toilet is also not allowed. Hungry and exhausted we were driven to the camp. Pedestrian column in which there were old people, children, women with babies, proceeded from Tulchin to Pechora in Ukrainian police cordon, German and Romanian soldiers with dogs. Lagging behind the convoy shot column. In Pecheri on the bank of the Bug, on the border of the German occupation zone was established a concentration camp, where most of the prisoners were condemned to death. Tulchin Jews put smokers tuberculosis sanatorium, the former estate of Count Potocki, some of the buildings which remained unfinished, with no windows and doors. " According to official data from the 6500 Jewish prisoners in Pechersk camp, upon his release by the Red Army in March 1944 . remained alive in 1550 people. autumn of 1941 in the area of Tulchin Jews were deported from Bessarabia and Bukovina. Most of them are placed in a neighboring village Nestervarke, in 1942-1943,. there was arranged a Jewish labor camp, where prisoners were used for peat development. in 1942 Tulchin were transferred (in addition to 118 local Jews-"experts" who have remained here after deportation Pecher) several hundred Jews deported from Bukovina and Ukrainian towns in particular of Yampol. By order of the Board of the gendarmerie was created ghettos and Jewish police. In March 1943, in the ghetto, there were about 500 Jews. The funds sent by the Jews of Bucharest, the council organized the ghetto soup kitchen and several workshops, many prisoners worked in enterprises outside the ghetto.With the permission of the occupation authorities in the ghetto was established school, headed by the wife of Chairman of the Board ghetto Fishman. Attending school ninety boys and girls who studied inter alia production function. Two musicians of the prisoners were in school music classes. Teachers involved with the children in memory, without books and manuals, children learn without textbooks and notebooks. According to former prisoners at the end of January 1944 German troops surrounded the ghetto with its destruction, but through the intervention of the Romanian gendarmerie commander of the Legion Captain Fetekau, bloodshed did not happen. In Odessa regional archives stored lists of prisoners Tulchin ghetto.According to official Romanian statistics from September 1, 1943 in Tulchin 7 remained Jews from Bessarabia and Bukovina Jews from 220 in Nestervarke respectively - 422 and 1168 of the deported Jews. Tulchin was liberated by the Red Army March 15, 1944 In the 1950s, has a membership of about 2,500 people Tulchin Jewish community was one of the largest in the Vinnytsia region, second in size only Vinnitsa and Mogilev Zhmerinka. In 1994, there were about 500 Jews ( about 2.5% of the population) in 2012 the Jewish community of Tulchin has about 150 peopleLukin, "100 Jewish towns in Ukraine" Detailed photos

TULCHIN: Some from here were buried in the mass grave at Torkov.

  • TULCHIN:     US Commission No. UA01270101
  • Alternate names: Turchin (Yiddish), Tultchin (Polish), Tulcin (Russian) and Tulczyn (Hebrew.) Tulchin is located in Vinnitskaya at 48º4128º52, 69 km from Vinitse. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 101-1,000 Jews.

 

  • Town officials: Town Executive Council, Zaremba Evgeni Nikolayevich [Phone: (04335) 21205].
  • Regional: Vinnitska Oblast Jewish Community - Desler I.A. Obshestvo Yazykoy Kultury (Society of Linguistic Culture) Prov. Kotovekno 11.
  • Key Holder and Caretaker: Bartik, Mikhail Abramovitch of Prov. Kotovenko 11.
  • The earliest known Jewish community was 1607. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 7708. Effecting the Jewish community were 1743,1768 Haydamatskay Pogroms, 1918, 1919, 1920 Petura and Denikinski Pogroms, 1920 Tutunnika and Holyba Pogrom, and 1941 mass shooting of town Jewish population. Living here was M.A. Bartik, a ghetto survivor. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 1700 century. Jews buried here are Lepier, Sheremgary, and Lambus with last known Hasidic burial 1994. The isolated urban hillside and crown of a hill has signs or plaques in local language. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 16th century. Stones removed were incorporated into roads or structures. The cemetery has special sections for men and women. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. Local Jewish community and the municipality own property now used for Jewish cemetery and "other." Adjacent properties are private homes. The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit frequently. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country, Jewish individuals abroad and Jewish groups within country patched broken stones, cleared vegetation and fixed gate in 1988. Now, occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures but an ohel.
  • Fuks of Ulise Volodaraklo 13/4 [Phone: 358296] visited site on 4/8/94 with M.A. Bartik of Prov. Kotovenko 11, Tulchin [Phone: 2/27/79]. Interviewed were Bartik on 4/8/94. Fuks completed survey on 05/08/1994. Documentation: Town Populations in the Oodol Region. A.Krylov. 1905; History of Towns and Villages in Ukraine. Vinnitska Oblast. Kiev 1969; Short Jewish Encyclopaedia. Jerusalem 1976; Jewish Encyclopaedia in 16 Vols. Brokgayz-Efron; Encyclopaedia Judaica in 17 Vols. Jerusalem.
  • TULCHIN II:     US Commission No. UA01270102
  • Alternate name: Tulcin (Yiddish), Tultchin (German) and Tuiczyn (Polish.) The town is located at 48º41 28º52, 69 km from Vinnitsa. Jewish part of town cemetery. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 101-1,000 Jews.
  • Town officials: Town Soviet Chairman Savchuk Vitaly Mikhailovich [Phone: (04335) 22240]Regional: Regional Archives Manager Zagrebailenko Nataliya Ivanovna [Phone: (04335)22431]. The Executive Committee of Vinnitskaya Oblast Town
  • Regional State Archives of Vinnitskaya Oblast
  • Jewish Community of Vinnitsa Chairman Desner and Chairman Bartik Mikhail Abramovich [Phone: (04335) 22779].
  • Caretaker with key: Lipovetsky Ivan Pavlovich. Apt. 7, 4 Artobolevskogo St.
  • See TULCHIN I for historical information. Living here was Rabbi Aaron. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1984 with last known Jewish burial in 1996. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The suburban agricultural flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and the town cemetery, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surround surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery is now 0.24 hectares. 101 to 500 stones all in original location, date from 1984. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site now used for the Jewish part of the town cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and forest. The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit frequently. This cemetery was not vandalized. Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation continually. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal), pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
  • Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 18/10/96. Bartik Mikhail Abramovich of 11, Kotovskogo St. [Phone: (04335) 2779] was interviewed on 18/10/96.
  • TULCHIN III:     US Commission No. UA01270501
  • The mass grave is located in part of the old Jewish cemetery, Michurina St. The Jewish mass grave was dug in December 1941. No Jews from other towns or villages were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road and the land of the cemetery, access is open to all. A continuous fence but no gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.02 hectares. 1 to 20 common tombstones date from 20th century. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery and "other." Adjacent properties are Jewish cemetery. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Frequently, organized individual tours, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents stop. The mass grave was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals and groups within country did re-erection of stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1950s and 1991. The Jewish Congregation of Tulchin pays the regular caretaker. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Serious threat: vandalism (1994 act of vandalism.) Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal) and pollution.
  • Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 18/10/96. Bartik Mikhail Abramovich of 11, Kotovskogo St. [Phone: (04335) 22779] was interviewed on 18/10/96.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 25 March 2014 15:33
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution