TOKVAK: US Commission No. UA07060102
Alternate names: Bolshoi Tokmak (Russian.) Tokvak is located in Zaporozhskaya at 47º14 35º44, 95 km from Zaporoje and 146 km from Dnepropetrovsk. The cemetery is located at Stepnaya St. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 101-1,000 Jews.
1939 Jewish population (census) was 1898. The Jewish cemetery was established after 1945 with last known Hasidic burial 1984. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The suburban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1949. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. Frequently, local residents visit. This cemetery was not vandalized. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish individuals within country cleared vegetation. Now, occasionally, individuals clear or clean.
Shevelev Mark Petrovich of 330000 Zaporoje, Tsentralniy Bulvar 25, Apt.54 [Phone: (0612) 396982] visited site in 1994. Interviewed were Linchuk Aleksandr Dmitrievich in 1994. Shevelev completed survey in 1994.