TEREBOVLYA: Ternopil oblast [Теребовля, Trembowla] Trembovla, Trebevle, Terebowlja, Terebovlia,] Print

Terebo h.png Alternate names: Terebovlya, Теребовля [Rus, Ukr], Trembowla [Pol], Trembovla and טרעבעוולע  [Yid], Trebevle, Terebowlja, Terebovlia, טרמבובלה [Hebrew]. 49°18' N, 25°43' E, 18 miles SSE of Ternopil' (Tarnopol), 15 miles SW of Skalat. The town has a railway station Trembovlya Lviv railway. 2011 population - 13,769 people.

Known from the XIV century as Zagaypole. first written mention at the end of the 16th century. Polish King Sigismund I gave Nadvornaya Marshal Prince Sigismund II Augustus Jakub Potocki award of merit in the village Sokolov Zagaypole. In 1570 the co-owners - the sons of Jacob Nicholas Potocki, Jan and Andrew - got the privilege of holding fairs in the estate Zagaypole. ... Jewish population: 335 Jews in 1880 - 1247 (39.7% of the total population), in 1921 - 895 Jews (28.2 %). The first mention of Jews was 1635: considerable number of Jewish craftsmen (tailors, shoemakers, etc.). In early 18th century. an independent Jewish community. Source with photos. [Mar 2014]

Wikipedia: "1572 is the earlier documentation of the city with a 16th century Jewish community in a city with 248 houses, two priests and 10 Jews.1616 Jewish population was 8. In 1664 six Jewish families lived there. In the 17th century a wooden synagogue stood on the street now called Franko, ie Pidzamche. Within a hundred years (1765), the Jewish community was much larger, 89 farms. In the 19th century,. at least two synagogues existed including one old wooden one. The Jewish community lived mainly in the Old Town near the modern area Shevchenko (formerly Market Square, then Pilsudski) and Sich ... (before 1945 - Jan Sobieski). Also, the city had a separate Jewish cemetery, which stood on the site of a modern residential building on the street Tchaikovsky . During WWII, Jewish quarter was burned, as were many wooden buildings. Some Jewish families fled the city before the attack and went to the Russian army. 1941 Jewish popuation: about 1700 Jews. In 1942 during the German occupation, the Jewish quarter was turned into a ghetto. Then some Jews were sent to a camp in Bełżec or shot on the spot. The rest were shot the following year in a ravine near the village Plebanivka .". [Mar 2014]

Shtetlink.

HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL: Before World War II, approximately 1,486 Jews lived there. During the German occupation, the majority of the Jewish population were kept in a small ghetto, and around 1,100 were shot on April 7, 1943 close to the nearby village of Plebanivka. The current monument stands next to two gravestones--the old Jewish cemetery that no longer exists. The only way to get to this memorial is by walking. It is located on top of a hill about a 30 minute walk from the center of town. It is best to try and ask a local for directions, although do not count on many people knowing where it is or how to get to it. Source. [Mar 2014]

RUSSIAN SOURCE with photos: "The first mention of the city dates from 1097 in "The Tale of Bygone Years", which makes it one of the oldest cities in Ukraine. Terebovlia - the ancient capital of the principality Terebovlia. As part of the Kingdom of Poland and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Centre grodovogo starostva from 1569 - one of the county centers Galicia Russian province. Under the rule of the Habsburg monarchy city originally was part of the Ternopil region. In 1854 was formed as part of the county Terebovlya Ternopil District of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria. In 1867, it was abolished  rebovlia remained one of nearly 80 district centers of Galicia. Under Shenbrunskogo world during the period from 1810 to 1815 part of Galicia, including Terebovl, was part of the Russian Empire. October 15, 1810 was created Ternopil region, in which in 1814 there is another (third) additional district - Terebovlya. Since 1918, the city was briefly controlled ZUNR. He subsequently became one of the 17 county centers Ternopil province. Upon accession to the USSR Western Ukraine city became the regional center of Ternopil region. Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine city Terebovlia listed historic settlements of Ukraine. year 1572 one of the city dates back to lustration, which can be found confirmation that the city has in the XVI century a Jewish community. In lustration stated that the town had 248 houses, two priests and 10 Jews. According lustration in 1616 was 8 Jewish households. It is also known that in XVII. in was a wooden synagogue. Already a hundred years later (1765) the Jewish community was much more - 89 farms. In the XIX century. exist in at least two synagogues, including one old wood. The Jewish community lived mainly in the Old Town. Also, the city had a separate Jewish cemetery, which stood on the site of modern residential development. Terebovlia becomes the center of Hasidism and Jewish information - Haskalah. Hasidic dynasty is named Terebovlya Turkel. During World Jewish quarter was burned, as there were many wooden buildings. Part of Jewish families as refugees left the city before the onset of the Russian army. As of mid-1941 Terebovlya lived about 1,700 Jews. In November 1942, the city moved the Jews from the surrounding villages and two cities - and Strusova Budanov. November 5, 1942 1091 man was deported to Belzec extermination camp, and 109 were shot in the city. 1 December 1942 created Terebovlia ghetto. While there were about 2,500 people. In 1943, the ghetto was liquidated. German gendarmerie using Ukrainian police held three mass executions of Jews near the village Plebanovka: April 7, 1943 about 1,100 people were shot,June 3, 1943 845 people were shot, June 5, 1943 350 shot past the ghetto inhabitants. managed to escape and survive only a few dozen residents of the ghetto. On placed inside the ghetto two urban schools. Before finally destroying the ghetto children of Polish and Ukrainian families were warned that we should not come to class." Detailed description of the photo. photohunt.org.ua / Terebovlya.html

CEMETERY:

US Commission Report No. UA19230101:

Alternate names: Tereble (Yiddish), Trembovla (German), Trembowla (Hungarian) and Trenbovlya (Polish.) Terebovlya is located in Ternopolskaya at 49º18 25º43, 32 km from Ternopol and 114 km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located at N, Chaykovskogo St. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Town officials: Town Executive Council, Grod Stepan Mikhaylovich [Phone: (03551) 21461]. Organizer of Local History Museum, Zinchishin Igor Ilich.
  • Regional: Regional Executive Council, Matviykiv Nikolay Mikhaylovich [Phone: (03551) 21178]. Oblast State Administration, Skibnyavskiy Mikhail Vasilyevich [Phone: (03522) 25225]. Main Architect of Terebovlya Region, Kovalchuk Nikolay Fedorovich [Phone: (03551)22071]
  • Jewish Community 'Alef' of Paren Nuta Elyevich [Phone: (03522) 69323].
  • The earliest known Jewish community was end 17th century. The Jewish population (census) 1486 was 1486 [sic]. Effecting the Jewish community were middle 19th century St.ife of Hasidim with Haskalah. The last known Chortkovskaya Hasidic burial was 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, gate, or fence surrounds the cemetery. No stones are visible. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site now used for housing. Adjacent properties are residential. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is housing. In 1960, cemetery was destroyed to build housing. No threats.
  • Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prospect 37A, Apt. 23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site on 22/04/1996. Interviewed were Hotienko Igor Ivanovich on 22/04/1996. Hodorkovskiy completed survey on /04/1996. Documentation: Encyclopaedia Judaica Wasiutinski B. Ludnosc zydowska w Polsce w wiekach XIX i XX, Warsawa, 1930.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 April 2014 17:26