You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine TARASOVKA ( Boyarka and Tarasovka)
TARASOVKA ( Boyarka and Tarasovka) PDF Print E-mail

Boyarka coat of arms.ALTERNATE NAMES: BOYARKA [RUS Боярка, UKR, YID], BOJARKA [POL, GER], BOIARKA. 49°20' N, 30°40' E about 76 miles S of Kyyiv, 22 miles NW of Zvenigorodka, 9 miles NW of Lysyanka.  The 2001 population was 35,968. The town is not to be confused with the village of the same name in the Lysianskyi Rayon. 1900 Jewish poulation: 721. The railway reached the town in the 1860s, after which it became a favourite resort for artists and writers, including composer Mykola Lysenko and writer Sholom Aleichem. The fictional village of Boyberik, where Aleichem's tales of Tevye the Milkman are located, is based on Boyarka.

On June 22, 2010 in the city of Boyarka, a memorial to the death of 55 Jews from Boyarka and Tarasovka village was restored with the aid of the "Lo Tishkach" and "Genesis" funds.

KehilaLink. [July 2013]

TARASOVKA:     US Commission No. UA01670501

The town is located at 49º06 28º41, 8 km from Gaysin. The mass grave is located at on the collective farm land. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town officials: Village Soviet of Chechelev Chairman Bondar' Anatoly Tomovich [Phone: (071) 50231].
  • Regional: Regional State Archives of Vinnitskaya Oblast
  • Jewish Community of Vinnitsa Chairman Desner and Parhomenko Vitol'd Gerasimovich, Righteous Man of World of 85, Koshevogo St., Gaysin, Vinnitskaya Oblast [Phone: (04334)41535]

Site of 1943 mass execution of Jewish prisoners from Polonia [sic] and Romania who were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has signs or plaques in local language and Ukrainian mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location, date from 1975. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site now used as a Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural collective farm. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Local/municipal authorities did re-erection of stones and cleared vegetation annually after 1945. Now, authorities clear or clean occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal), pollution, vegetation (seasonal) and proposed nearby development. Slight threat: vandalism and existing nearby development.

Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 27/10/96. No interviews.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 09 July 2013 14:17
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution