You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine STRYY: Lviv Oblast [STRY, STRYJ, STRY, STRYI, STRI, STRIA, STRYJE
STRYY: Lviv Oblast [STRY, STRYJ, STRY, STRYI, STRI, STRIA, STRYJE PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Stryi ALTERNATE NAMES: STRYY and Стрий [UKR], STRYJ [POL], STRY [YID], STRYI, STRI, STRIA, STRYJE, СТРЫЙ Rus. 49°15' N, 23°51' E, 45 miles WNW of Ivano-Frankivsk (Stanisławów), 40 miles S of L'viv (Lvov). Jewish population: 6,572 (in 1890), 10,718 (in 1910.

Stryi is a city located on the left bank of the river Stryi in Lviv Oblast of western Ukraine. Serving as the administrative center of the Stryi Raion, the city is also designated as a separate raion within the oblast. Wikipedia

Stryi means stream. Mendel Wolf Hacker Diesendruck (1902-1974), Rabbi, was born here. Jews are first recorded in the late 1500's. The first synagogue was built in 1660. After Poland was partitioned, Stryy became part of the Austrian Empire in 1772. About 440 Jewish families in the town and surrounding area at that time.. After WWI, Stryy was part of free Poland with a Jewish population of 10,988 in 1921 and about 12,000 in 1939. The Germans occupied Stryy on July 2, 1941. Hundreds of Jews were immediately killed. In November 1941, 1,200 Jews were shot in the Holobotow forest. Several deportations to extermination camps took place beginning in September 1942. Between June and August 1943 the Stryy ghetto and labor camps near the town were liquidated. When the Soviet army occupied Stryy in August, 1944 only a few Jewish survivors remained. No Jewish community was re-established. See book Vanishing Traces of Jewish Galicia in Present-day Ukraine for more details.

CEMETERY:

 

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution