STRUSOV [STRUSÓW STRISOV, STRUSUV] : Ternopil oblast Print

ALTERNATE NAMES: STRUSOV [RUS], STRUSÓW [POL], STRISOV, STRUSUV

49°20' N, 25°37' E, 15 miles S of Ternopil (Tarnopol), 5 miles WSW of Terebovlya (Trembowla), and included in the Trembowla yizkor book. 1900 Jewish population'; 735.

Russian source with photos: The first written mention in 1434 as Podbogorodiche showed this as the then property of Ian Orinina. Since the beginning of the 16th century, the city ​​got its name from the names of the new owners - a coward. During this period over Urochishchye Devil Debra [sic] built the castle. In 1610, the owner of the town, Nikolai Strus, got Magdeburg Law and royal privilege to hold two fairs. March 17, 1771 they received reaffirmation of Magdeburg law. At the end of the18th century, nobles namedLyantskoronskie dismantled the remnants of an abandoned castle and manor built his castle, absolutely uninteresting from an architectural point of view. On 07/26/1941, after the German invasion, Ukrainian nationalists immediately killed six Jews. In August 1942, the Nazis killed another 20 people, 646 were deported to Belzec extermination camp. The remaining 322 people were transferred to Terebovl. Some of them taken to Belzec died in April - June 1943, during the liquidation of the ghetto Terebovlia. In 1943, around Strusova were found and killed 125 Jews. in 1940 - 1959. the town was a district center of Ternopil region. Detailed description of photos. photohunt.org.ua / Strusov.html . Used material: tolik-fort.livejournal.com

CEMETERY:

STRUSOV:     US Commission No. UA19220101
Alternate name: Strisov (Yiddish), Strusow (German) and Strusiv (Ukraine.) The Strusov is located in Ternopolskaya at 49º20 25º37, 12 km from Terebovlya and 120 km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located at SW village, near entry from Buchach. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town officials: Village Executive Council, Zelinskaya Stefa Vasilyevna [Phone: (071) 43542].
  • Regional: Regional Executive Council, Matviykiv Nikolay Mikhaylovich [Phone: (03551) 21178]. Oblast State Administration - Skibnyavskiy Mikhail Vasilyevich [Phone: (03522) 25225]. Main Architect of Terebovlya Region, Kovalchuk Nikolay Fedorovich [Phone: (03551) 21093] Organizator of Local History Museum, Zinchishin Igor Ilich.
  • Jewish Community 'Alef', Paren Nuta Elyevich [Phone: (03522) 69323].

The earliest known Jewish Community was 18th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 579. The last known Chortkovskaya Hasidic burial was 1940. The suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the unlandmarked cemetery. 1 to 20 common tombstones with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from 1930. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing.) Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (Uncontrolled access. There are many broken tombstones resulting from of vandalism; part of cemetery was carried away.) and vandalism (Only small part of tombstones exist. Possible cemetery will disappear.) Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution, and existing nearby and proposed development. Slight threat: vegetation.

Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy prosp. 37 a, Apt.23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site and completed survey on 22/04/1996. No interviews were conducted for this survey. Documentation: See section 14 [sic].

Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 15:29