Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), pp. 1248-49: "Storojineti".
web site of the writer, Ruth Ellen Gruber. Jewish Cemeteries of the Bucovina by Simon Geissbühler. ISBN 978-973-1805-50-4. Romanian, Ukrainian, English, French, and German. This book may soon be available via commercial booksellers, but can also be obtained directly from the author <
>. Though very fews Jews remain in the Bucovina, the cemeteries represent the culture and prominence of the Jewish populations of pre-WWII Romania. This volume provides information on and pictures of the Jewish cemeteries of Campulung Moldovenesc, Vama, Gura Humorului, Solca, Arbore, Radauti, Moldovita, Siret, Mihaileni, Storozhynets, Vyzhnytsia, Banilov, Vashkivtsi, Novoselitsa, and Hertsa. [Mar 2014\
STOROZYNETZ: US Commission No. UA25110101 Alternate name: Stordjinet (Yiddish), Storojinet (German), Storojineti (Hungarian), Storozynetz (Slov), Strizinitz (Polish), Storozynetz (English) and Storojinet (Ukraine.) Storozynetz is located in Chernovitskaya at 48º10 25º43, 20 km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located in NE part of town. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
Town officials: Town Executive Committee, Chairman Nyaiko Georgiy Vasilyevich [Phone: (03735) 21333].
Regional: Region Executive Committee, Chairman Mazur Gennadiy Vasilyevich [Phone: (03735) 21788]. Region Executive Committee in Chernovtsy, Chairman Gasyuk P.P. [Phone: (03722) 22640].
Chernovtsy Jewish Community, Finkye Eugeniya Manusovna [Phone: (03722) 24170] Jewish Foundation of Tau Yakov Adolfovich [Phone: (03722)21940]. Zapotochnaya Tamara Michailovna.
Caretaker: Tsaryuk Dmitriy Ivanovich of Chrnovitskaya Street. 76. Others: Bronshteyn Boris Fedorovich of Chapayeva Street. 5-a, Apt. 7 [Phone: (03735)21822]
The earliest known Jewish Community was in the 18th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 2482. In 1909, private Jewish School opened. Living here was Samuil Orenshtey, Establisher of Starozhinetsky Dendropark [sic]. The last known Sadgorskaya Hasidic or Progressive/Reform burial was 1990. The isolated urban hillside has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds the unlandmarked cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 18th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has special section for suicides. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, portraits on stones, and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country and abroad cleared vegetation and fixed wall in 1980-1990. Jewish survivors (Bronshtyeyn (21822) pay the regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house and an ohel. Vegetation overgrowth and water drainage are seasonal problems. Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation, and existing nearby and proposed development.
Hodorkovsky Yuriy Isaakovich of 252037, Ukraine, Kiev, Vozduhoflotsky 37a, 23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site on 3/11/95. Interviewed were Bronshtyeyn B.F. and Tsaryuk D.I. Hodorkovsky completed survey on 03/19/1995. Documentation: H. Gold. Geschichte der Juden in der Bukovina , 1962; Encyclopaedia Judaica , vol.15.