Alternate names: Starokostyantyniv, Старокостянтинів [Ukr], Starokonstantinov, Староконстантинов [Rus], Konstantin Yashan [Heb], Starokonstantynów [Pol], Staro-Konstantinov, Stary Konstantynów. 49°45' N, 27°13' E , 25 miles NNE of Khmelnytskyy (Proskurov).
Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 1237: "Staro-Konstantinov".
Shtetl Finder (1980), p. 39: "Konstantin Yashan, Starokonstantinov".
STAROKONSTANTINOV: may be buried at Manivtsy
Source with photos: "Starokostiantyniv was founded in 1525, used to have a name Kolischentsy. First about the city was mentioned in the decree of the Polish king Kremenetsky headman from March 5, 1505, that he "made the possessions Gribeninka villages, and Sahnovtsy Kolischentsy Ivan Labunskaya."
January 5, 1561 descendants Labunskaya sold Kolischentsy Duke Constantine of Ostrog. After three months of Ostrog received from the Polish king privileges on the right foundation of the city, fairs and Magdeburg rights to the city. Originally named Constantine, after the founding of the city Novokonstantinova. In 1632 it was renamed to Starokostiantyniv. According to the 1897 census, the city had 16,527 inhabitants, 56% of them - Jews, 37% - Orthodox, 7% - Catholics and Muslims and others. The city acted 7 synagogues and Jewish houses of worship, 6 Orthodox churches, Catholic Dominican monastery. "... Determine the number of city residents with the Jewish population, not only accurately, but even with a small mistake about, except perhaps with the help of a one-day census. Can without much exaggeration to say that all of the assumptions in this regard will be conjectural, all references are inaccurate, but commonly employed methods in statistics to determine the number of inhabitants, are unlikely to be properly applied in these cities. reason for this is that the Jewish population, thanks special conditions of his life, all featuring a large variability with respect to mobility and residence: in the city there are lots of Jews living permanently or for a very long time in its trading and other cases, and in the urban population outside. Jewish home without being membership of one person, and sometimes making the property a few families, can not serve as data in which at least desirable, with small errors could be identified by their inhabitants. Concluding marriages between them, many, even most Jewish families, taking to his son-in for one, two, three or even five years - depending on the condition of marriage and property status in-law - then move to other areas. All this, combined with other reasons sometimes elusive, prevents exact calculation residents Starokonstantinov ... ... Charity Jewish residents expressed mainly in the fact that the poor Jews get help from more affluent. Regardless of this, the city has a Jewish hospital, placed in a house built with public funds, and the contents of the money donated by two wealthy Jews and Israel Epstein Krasnosel Abraham ... Jews ... All houses are built almost on one plan and one sample, having the character of a visiting home, ie: on both sides of the corridor (cold) is a series of rooms, each room has a door to the common hallway and also connected to the adjoining rooms as doors, mainly bivalves. Consequently, each room has 3 doors and corner rooms only have 2 doors ... ... Great Synagogue Jewish built a long time ago, but it is impossible to determine exactly; legend says that it was before the Mohammedan mosque, as evidenced by the Arabic inscriptions available on one of the stones set into the wall. It burned a few times, and the same was restored. Shallow Synagogue, built by a rich and pious Jew Yankel Bezimskim in 1825 Both synagogue stone, covered with iron ...DESCRIPTION OF CITY Starokonstantinov its founding to the present day (1561-1884). Compiled 45 Infantry Azov His Imperial Highness Grand Duke Boris Vladimirovich SHELF Lieutenant NI Zuts. " In 2012 the Jewish community Starokonstantinov has about 80 people. Detailed photos.
US Commission Report No. UA22060101
Alternate name: Starokonstantinow (Ukraine.) Starokonstantinov is located in Khmelnitskaya at 49º45 27º13, 50 km from Khmelnitskiy, 288 km from Kiev and 107 km from Vinnitsa. The cemetery is located at Ordjonikidze St. 70. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 101-1,000 Jews.
- Regional: Khmelnitskiy Oblast Soviet.
The earliest known Jewish Community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 6934. Living here was Blank, Lenin's grandfather. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 16th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial 1994. No other towns or villages used this landmarked cemetery. The urban crown of a hill, separate but near other cemeteries, has signs or plaques in local language and Hebrew. Reached by turning directly off a private road, access is open to all. A continuous fence, a broken fence, and non-locking gate surround the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1860. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are "other." The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Frequently, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Local/municipal authorities patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation. Now occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation, vandalism, existing nearby and proposed development.
Peysahov Dmitriy Berovich of Kiev, 40-let Oktyabrya Street 48, Apt. 6 [Phone: (044) 2650346] visited site and completed survey on 11/1/94. Interviewed on 11/1/94 was Vladimir Srulevich Shraybman .