You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine STARIY CHARTORIYSK
STARIY CHARTORIYSK I:     US Commission No. UA02190101
Alternate name: Chartorysk (Yiddish), Stazzy (German), Chartorish (Hungarian), Chartoriysk (Polish) and Tshartorisk (English.). Stariy Chartoriysk is located in Volynskaya at 51º13 25º53, 80 km from Lutsk. The cemetery is located at center, 3 km from highway Kiev-Warsaw. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
  • Town officials: Village Executive Council, Baytsym Vitaliy Filaretovich [Phone: (071) 25119].
  • Regional: Oblast Cultural Dept. for the Protection of Monuments, Chemeris E.V. [Phone: (03322) 42253].
  • Volyn Jewish Community, 263000, Lutsk, Vinnichenka St. 49, Apt.6. Others: State Archive of Volynskaya Oblast of 263024, Lutsk, Veteranov St. 21. Israel, Community of Volhynian Jews.

The earliest known Jewish Community was 1850. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 220. Effecting Jewish Community were World War I and Civil War. The Jewish cemetery was established in 18 century. The last known Hasidic burial was 1941. Tsminy (12 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by near the road Tsminy-Chartoriysk, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for storage and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are residential and road Tsminy-Chartoriysk. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Serious threat: uncontrolled access and pollution. Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Kirzhner Moisey of 263005, Lutsk, Grushevskogo St. 18, Apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site and completed survey on 11/4/95. Interviewed were Bayuim V.F. on 11/4/95. Documentation: State Archive of Volynskaya Oblast, fond 96, op.1, delo 356, 495.
v. STARIY CHARTORIYSK II:     US Commission No. UA02190501
The mass grave is located at E, near the village Christian cemetery. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. No other towns or village's Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The rural (agriculture) site, separate but near other cemeteries, has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by near the road to v. Kozminichi, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1984. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing.) Properties adjacent are agricultural. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Authorities clean or clear occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and vandalism.
Kirzhner Moisey of 263005, Lutsk, Grushevskogo St. 18, Apt. 38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site and completed survey on 11/4/95. Interviewed was Chemeris E.V. on 10/4/95. Documentation: Shmuel Spector. The Holocaust of Volhynian Jews. 1941-1945 , p.358

All photos below courtesy This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [2011]

Cemetery views:



Panoramic series of photos:



Mass grave/burial pits -- Esther Gilbert's captions: "A memorial stone is at the base, surrounded by a metal fence.  The Germans and their Ukrainian collaborators would have stood on the rim, shooting the people who had been brought in small groups into the pit.  In addition to the Jews who had been living in Czartorysk, there were also many Jewish refugees from the west who had found sanctuary in Czartorysk.  All were murdered.  The memorial stone at the base of the largest pit, in Russian:  'Here were shot the Jewish inhabitants of the village of Czartorysk, murdered by the Hitlerite butchers on the 27 July 1942.' "








Last Updated on Sunday, 25 August 2013 21:31
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution