You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine STARAYA KOTELNYA
STARAYA KOTELNYA PDF Print E-mail
STARAYA KOTELNYA I:     US Commission No. UA05540501 Alternate name: Staraya Kotelnya (Yiddish), Kotelnia (German), Kotelnja (Hungarian), Kotelnna (Czech), Kotelnya (Polish) and Kotolina Hayashana (English.) Staraya Kotelnya is located in Zhitomirskaya at 50º6 28º58, 37 km from Zhitomir, 8 km from Andrushka and 101 km from Vinnitsa. The mass grave is located at center, near Kostel St. Antoniya. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
  • Town officials: Village Council - Ivanchenko Nikolay Andreevich [Phone: (071) 94482]. Village Council of Ivanchenko Nikolay Andreevich [Phone: (071) 21471].
  • Regional: Regional Dept. of Culture, Andrushevka, Lenina St. 1 [Phone: (04136) 21964]. Others: Berdichev Branch State Archive at Sovetskaya Sq. 10 [Phone: (04143) 22322].
The earliest known Jewish Community was 1775. The Jewish population (census) 3183 was 896. Effecting Jewish Community was 1926 Jewish Council. The Hasidic mass grave was dug in 1941. Novaya Kotelnya (2 km away) Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1950. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are residential. The mass grave boundaries is larger now than 1939. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Regional/national authorities did re-erection of stones. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, vandalism, and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107,Apt.42. [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site on 10/8/95. Interviewed were Anton Mikhaylovich of Staraya Kotelnya on 10/8/94. Kogan completed survey on 10/10/1995.
STARAYA KOTELNYA II:     US Commission No. UA05540502
The mass grave is located at "Lisky", SE part of village. The Hasidic mass grave was dug in 1941. No other towns or village's Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by Telmana Street, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1950. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and brick factory. The mass grave boundaries is larger now than 1939. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Regional/national authorities did re-erection of stones. the work in 1950. Authorities clean or clear occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt.42. [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site on /08/1994. Interviewed were Anton Mikhaylovich of Staraya Kotelnya on /08/1994. This survey was completed by Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107,Apt.42. [Phone: (04141) 54259] on 10/10/1995.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution