|STANISLAVCHIK: Vinnytsya oblast [Stanisławczyk , Stanislavtchik, , Stanislavchyk] Brodivskyi Raion, Lviv Oblast|
Alternate names: Stanislavchik [Rus], Stanisławczyk [Pol], Stanislavtchik, סטאניסלאבצ'יק [Yid], Stanislavchyk, Станіславчик [Ukr]. 50°10' N, 24°54' E, 14 miles SE of of Radekhov, 12 miles WNW of Brody. Included in Radekhov yizkor book. 1900 Jewish population: 795 (in 1880), 165 (in 1921) [Not to be confused with a Stanislavchik SW of Vinnitsa.]
SOURCE with photos:"Stanislavchik - one of the oldest settlements in Ukraine Podolia. It is located on the river bank Murafa, seven kilometers from the major railway junction Zhmerynka, the path between Zhmerynka and shargoroda. In historical documents of the 16th century the village was called YUSHKOV. The population engaged in the production of pottery, fishing and processing. Possible, hence the name of the village (soup - fish soup). During the attack, the village was destroyed by the Tatars in the early 17th century, there emerged a new settlement Chagarin. After the reunification of the Right-Bank Ukraine and Russia, the owner of the village became governor Bakhmetiev Podolsky, who received it as a gift from Stanislaw Potocki and called it Stanislavchik. Worrying about revenue growth from their farm, Bakhmetiev invited from surrounding towns - Jewish craftsmen and merchants from Bara shargoroda, Kopaygoroda, Braila, Nemirova. Jews opened shops and stalls there. Stanislavchik becomes borough. When entering and leaving the Stanislavchik was an inn, where they could eat, drink and sleep goblet. Tavern was a kind of center, like a coaching inn. In 1802 Stanislavchik and was near 18 Tavern. As of December 1864 in the village lived Jewish men - 102 people zhenschinin - 100. According to the 1897 census in Stanislavchik are already more than 5000 people, including Jews - 1207. In 1905, already operating two Jewish schools and Jewish prayer school "Talmud Torah." Under the Soviet government created the Jewish National Council. In 1923.Stanislavchik became a district center. In the town of big fairs are held around the town hall. In the hall there were so many shops where traded iron hardware, agricultural implements, food. The fair was very noisy and ran to the fire, and there was tarovitsa, where they sold the cattle. in 1929 was closed brick synagogue, further reading room hut. In the 30s the second synagogue (below, near the well) was converted into a district cultural, and then cinema. In 2005. Theatre transferred Orthodox Church Kiev Patriarchate. In January 1930 Stanislavchik created Jewish national collective agricultural marketing cooperative "Der Yidisher Pojer." Author of memoirs D.YudchakShefom Stanislavchikskogo ghetto was appointed Dr. Arthur Kula, his deputy Dr. Koch, police - Badia. All of them were from Czernowitz, knew the Romanian language. In the ghetto was established strict order. Nobody had the right to leave without the permission of the chief of the ghetto. At night, the set was on duty and all the events reported to the chief of the ghetto. From the ghetto took people to work in Zhmerinka on military warehouse where assorted shells captured, repaired the railroad tracks in the area Zhmerynka-Yaroshenko, clearing roads of snow, destroying not occupied by locals Jewish homes, which before the war dragged from the pharmacy to the current village council and along the highway on both sides of the police. Wood from demolished houses went on heating and gendarmerie praetorship. At three o'clock in the morning two men went from the ghetto to bring up the water in the barrel on the blind horse, which took in a former farm. From the first days of the war mobilization has been declared. Began to prepare for evacuation in our town. Kolkhoz horses allotted to families, but the Jews are not in a hurry. The Germans entered the village of July 17, 1941. Occupation regime was established. People were afraid to go, especially Jews. Was created by the local administration. Village headman became Tsuyman Gury Vasilievich (former priest, veterinarian), later became warden Glavatsky Peter. Police led Fedorchuk Basil (last fireman), police - Ivan Boiko, Savuliak and others. Police on the left sleeve worn yellow-blue bandage. Jewish community led Shteyngrud Noah. Jews all over the eleven years was ordered to wear on the left sleeve with embroidered white bandage on her blue threads or indelible pencil drawn shield of David. September 8, 1941. was a raid on the Jewish houses. It was attended came from western Ukraine Bendera, the SS police. All of the houses were taken, especially food. All Jewish property were brought to the police. Stanislavchik entered the Romanian occupation zone - Transnistria. Romanians at all Jews over the age of 11 years had to wear a bandage is not on the left sleeve, and a distinctive sign on the left side of the chest in a black cloth mug with a Star of David made of yellow cloth. The building housed offices of MTS Romanian Gendarmerie. Praetor (district administrator) took a former executive committee. In October 1941 Stanislavchik exiles arrived from Bukovina and Bessarabia. They were placed among local Jews. In spring 1942 a ghetto was established. It was placed on the territory of the former home of culture. This western town fenced with barbed wire. In the ghetto, leaving only artisans, professionals to serve the local population. The remaining Jews were relocated to the former territory of a cattle farm near the village Noskovtsy. This place was called Calm. The farm itself has been destroyed, without windows and doors. People living in a calm, wandered from village to village, hired for any job, be exchanged for food their latest stuff. Searched the land remains frozen potatoes, beets. Led this camp Shtivelman Loew, who, after his release for cruelty to people judged. From hunger and cold during the winter so many died. Some tried to get in Stanislavchikskoe ghetto. Few of the inhabitants waited Lull Victory. Jan. 10, 1944, in connection with the Soviet offensive, Romanians fled from the village, but then came back, as Soviet tanks were repulsed. Stanislavchik occupation lasted 975 days. On the morning of March 17, 1944 we were not "owners" of the night Romanians fled again. Returned representatives of Soviet power, the mobilization. Many went with existing forces. It is unfortunate that the survivors of the occupation, died on the fronts of brothers Joseph and srulit Mekabel, Mile Lanzmann, Zeev Mironchik, Abrash Wachs. In Stanislavchik after liberation from the enemy placed a large military hospital. People began to return to their homes preserved in its city of Bukovina. But many left for other cities. Towards the end of the 90s in Stanislavchik not a single Jew. Copyright memories D.Yudchak CALM Calm - a rather large area, located between the villages and Sloboda Noskovtsy Noskovetskaya. Before the revolution there was a manor house with elegant palaces, parks and hunting lodge, probably it since that time the area got its name. After the revolution was based farm, which, however, soon moved to Noskovtsy and then to Oleksandrivka. It is in dilapidated buildings of the farm and settled Jews Stanislavchik and several other villages ... Now there's nothing. At all. Only wood and grass on the belt. When asked in the Sloboda road to lull reaction at all was the same: "And why you? There for years nobody goes." Place found only the second time, when they returned to the Sloboda and took with them a local who showed everything. Just incredible - from a dozen non-small stone structures left no trace. At the cemetery, where they buried the dead from hunger and disease, once established unpretentious plate - it too is long gone ... Detailed photo
v. STANISLAVCHIK I: US Commission No. UA01200101
Alternate name: Stanislavcik (Yiddish), Stanislawzyk (Hungarian) and Stanislavtch (Russian.) v. Stanislavchik is located in Vinnitskaya at 50º10' 24º54', 54 km from Vinnitsa and 69 km from Lvpv. The cemetery is located on the way out of town toward Zmerinka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish Community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1200. Effecting Jewish Community were Chmelnitski Pogroms 1648-9, Barskoj Confederation, 1768-72Pogroms, Civil War, 1918-1920 Pogroms and 1941-1944 Ghetto when 100 local + 5000 Bessarabian Jews died of disease. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 18th century with last known Hasidic burial 1979. The isolated suburban hillside and crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with non-locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, other metallic elements and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery and industrial or commercial use. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of "other." Occasionally, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country and abroad did re-erection of stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1945-1946. Now occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing both graves and stones. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (Territory used for all purposes), vegetation (All cemetery, apart from a few graves, is overgrown by trees.) and vandalism (Monuments damaged and graves robbed.) Moderate threat: weather erosion. Slight threat: pollution, existing nearby and proposed development.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065,Odessa, Varnenskaya St. 17D, Apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site and completed survey on 6/24/94. Interviewed was local resident. Documentation: Town Populations of the Russian Empire , Podol Region 1864; Population of towns of the Podol region , A.Krilov, 1905; Historical Monuments in Podol-Kamanets region , Gulman 1901; National Minorities in Ukraine Register, 1925.
The cemetery is located at center of village. v. Stanislavchik. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Hasidic burial 1993. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 common tombstones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 17th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The cemetery property is now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation 1952-1993. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing both graves and stones. Water drainage at the cemetery is a constant problem. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (Cemetery used for all purposes.) Moderate threat: pollution and vegetation.
Fuks Mikhail Lvovich of Vinnitsa, Volodarskogo 13, Apt. 4 [Phone: 358296] visited site and completed suravey on 10/2/94. Interviewed was Sojfer I.Y. on 10/2/94. Documentation: Population of towns in the Podol Region . Kamets-Podol. A.Krylov 1905; History of Towns and Villages in Ukraine . Vinnitska Oblast. Kiev 1969; Short Jewish Encyclopaedia . Jerusalem 1976; Jewish Encyclopaedia in 16 vols. Brokhayz-Efron; Encyclopaedia Judaica in 17 vols. Jerusalem.
v. STANISLAVCHIK III: US Commission No. UA01200501
The mass grave is located at N, 5 km from village, on the hill "Zatish'ye", road to v. Severinovk. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. Khotin (130 km away) Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by road thru the forest, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. The mass grave contains unmarked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are forest. rarely by local residents. The mass grave was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: vegetation (On the property of MMS-forest. Trees are starting to destroy graves.) Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, and existing nearby and proposed development.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Ukraine, Odessa, Varnenskaya 17d, Apt. 52[Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site in 07/1994. Interviewed were Portnaya D.I. of Zhmerinka in 07/1994. Oks completed survey on 02/03/1995. Documentation: State Archive of Odessa Oblast fond P-2255, on-1, d-1180, 1407.
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]
|Last Updated on Monday, 11 April 2016 16:45|