SOLOTVINA Print
SOLOTVINA I:     US Commission No. UA06020101
Alternate name: Slotfina (Yiddish), Szlatina (German), Doly Slatinski (Hungarian), Slatinske Doly (Czech), Doly Slatinski (Polish), Akna Szlatina (Russian), Selo Slatina (Ukraine), Falu Szlatina (Hebrew) and Solotvinske Kopalne (others.) Solotvina is located in Zakarpatskaya at 47º57 23º54, 157 km from Chernovtsi. The cemetery is located at Big Solotvina, Engelsa Street. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
  • Town officials: Fiksler Dora Abramovna of Pobedi St. 14 [Phone: (03134) 56473]. Caretaker: Lehtey Ivan Mihaylovich of Solotvino, 50 let Oktyabrya St. 13.
The last known Hasidic and Orthodox (Sephardic) Jewish burial was 1957. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road, access is open to all. There is no gate. 501 to 5000 common tombstones are about half in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken. Stones were removed were incorporated into roads or structures. The unlandmarked cemetery has special sections for men, women, suicides and other. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential and other. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of housing development. Occasionally, by Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors from USA, Israel, Canada. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Now there is regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures OR other structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, damaging stones. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: existing nearby development. Serious threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vegetation. Slight threat: proposed nearby development.
Sokolova Eleonora Evgenievna of 252153, Kiev, Tichini prosp. 5, Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site on 11/1/94. Interviewed were Fiksler Dora Abramovna of Solotvino, Pobedi St. 14 (03134) 56473 [Phone: (03134)21314] on 11/1/94 and Neimet Simha Izhakovich of Solotvino, Pogranichnaya St. 8 [Phone: no] on 11/2/94. Sokolova completed survey on 11/01/1994.
SOLOTVINA II:     US Commission No. UA06020102
The cemetery is located at NW.
The earliest known Jewish Community was first half of 17th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 3000. Effecting the Jewish Community was 1944 ghetto. Living here were Akkerman Lipot, Head of Community and Famely of Makswell. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1970. Buried in unlandmarked cemetery is Head of Community Moshkovich Bernar. The last known Hasidic burial was 1992. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public property, access is open to all. "Other" surrounds the cemetery with non-locking gate. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1970. No stones were removed. The cemetery has special sections for men and women. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country did re-erection of stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1970-1994. Now occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with a catafalque. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion and vandalism.
Sokolova Eleonora Evgenievna of 252153, Kiev, Pr. Tychiny 5 apt 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site on 11/2/94. Interviewed were Neymet Simkha Izhakhovich of Pogranichnayua str. 8 on 11/2/94. Sokolova completed survey on 11/02/1994.

SOLOTVINA:     US Commission No. UA08150101
Alternate name: Akua Szlatina (German), Faln Szlatina (Hungarian), Solotvinske Kopalne (Czech), Szlatina, Slotvina (Polish) and Solotvina (Ukraine.) Solotvina is located in Ivano-Frankovskaya at 48º42 24º25, 180 km from Chernovtsy and 20 km from Bogorodchany. The cemetery is located at SE part of Solotvin, Beregovaya St. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
  • Town officials: Village Executive Council Chairman Fomin Feodosiy Mikhaylovich [Phone: 21812]. Regional: Regional State Administration, Chairman Brus Vasiliy Fomich [Phone: (03471)21212]. Oblast State Administration - Skripnichuk Vasiliy Mikhaylovich [Phone: (03422)25280]. Main Architect of Bogorodchany region of Glushevich Roman Iosifovich.
  • Jewish Community of Kolesnik, Viktor Pavlovich [Phone: (03422)34894].
The earliest known Jewish Community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 610. In 1867, Jews received all rights of Austro-Hungary. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Vizhnitskaya Hasidic burial end 1940. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached from Beregovaya St. 20, small path up steps, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location, are 25%-50% toppled or broken. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery and agricultural use (crops or animal grazing.) Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, and existing nearby and proposed development.
Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prospect 37a, Apt. 23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site on 30/05/1996. Interviewed was Kolesnik V.P. [Phone: (03422) 23029] on 30/05/1996. Hodorkovskiy completed survey on 06/08/1996. Documentation: Jewish Encyclopaedia ; Wasiutyuski B. Ludnosc Zydowska w Polsce w wiekach XIX i XX ; Warszawa, 1930.