v. SOKOLOV: US Commission No. UA05150101
v. Sokolov is located in Zhitomirskaya, 56 km from Zhitomir, 38 km from Novograd-Volinskiy and 22 km from Chervonoarmeisk. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish Community was 1897. 1925 Jewish population (census) was 310. The last known Hasidic burial was 1941. The isolated wooded located on flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by "other," access is open to all. No wall or fence surrounds the unlandmarked cemetery. 1 to 20 common tombstones, with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from 1923. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and not in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, damaging stones. Very serious threat: vandalism. Serious threat: vegetation. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and pollution. Slight threat: weather erosion and proposed nearby development.
- Town officials: Village Soviet of K. Marksa Street.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt.42. [Phone: 54239] visited siteon 7/4/94. Interviewed were Kupershmidt Matvey Grigorovich on 7/4/94. Kogan completed survey on 07/05/1994.