You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine SLOVECHNO
SLOVECHNO PDF Print E-mail
SLOVECHNO I: US US Commission No. UA05410101
Slovechno is located in Zhitomirskaya, 33 km from Ovruch. The cemetery is located at N, Podgornaya Street. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
  • Town officials: Village Council of Kobylinskiy Yuriy Nikolayevich [Phone: (071)51334].
  • Ovruch Jewish Community, Ryabicheva Klara.
  • Others: Inteligator [sic] Ayzik Berkovich of Ovruch, Lenina St. 42.
The earliest known Jewish Community was 18th century. 1925 Jewish population (census) was 815. Effecting Jewish Community was 1919 Pogrom. Living here was Jewish writer Isak Kipnis (1894-1974.) The last known Hasidic burial was 1940. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside and crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with no gate surrounds the unlandmarked cemetery. 101 to 500 common tombstones, most in original location with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from 1832. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural, residential, and highway. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt.42. [Phone: (04141)54259] visited site on 26/07/1995. Interviewed were Rubanovich Adam Ivanovich on 26/07/1995 and Intelegator Ayzik Berkovich of Ovruch, Lenina St. 42 on 27/07/1995. Kogan completed survey on 07/08/1995.Documentation: State Archive of Zhitomirskaya Oblast (not legible.)
SLOVECHNO II:     US Commission No. UA05410501
The Hasidic mass grave was dug in 1941. No other towns or village's Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public property, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. No stones are visible or removed. The mass grave contains unmarked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing) and mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The mass grave boundaries is larger now than 1939. rarely. This mass grave has not been vandalized. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and pollution. Slight threat: weather erosion, vegetation, vandalism, and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107,Apt.42. [Phone: (04141)54259] visited site on 26/07/1995. Interviewed were Melnichenko Vasiliy Ivanovich on 26/07/1995. Kogan completed survey on10/08/1995. Documentation: State Archive of Zhitomirskaya Oblast (not legible.)
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution