SKALA PODOLSKAYA Print

Alternate names: Skala-Podol'skaya and Скала-Подольская. [Rus], Skała [Pol], Skala-Podil's'ka and Скала-Подільська [Ukr], Skal and סקאלה [Yid], Skala am Zbrucz [Ger], Skała nad Zbruczem. 48°51' N, 26°12' E, 56 miles SSE of Tarnopol, 21 miles NW of Kamenets-Podolsk, 8 miles ENE of Borshchev on the Zbruch River (former border between Galicia and Russian Empire). Jewish population: 3,449 (in 1880), 1,555 (in 1921)

US Commission No. UA19210101

Alternate name: Skal (Yiddish), Skala (German), Skala nad Zbruchem (Russian, Ukraine.) Skala Podolskaya is located in Ternopolskaya at 48º51 26º12, 15 km from Borschev and 62 km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located at E part pf town, Kotsyubinskogo, Krushelnitskoy Street. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Town officials: Village Executive Council, Cherepiy Lyubomir Iosifovich [Phone: (03541) 51131].
    • Regional: Regional Executive Council, Kuzik Ivan Andreevich [Phone: (05541) 51178]. Oblast State Administration - Skibnyavskiy Mikhail Vasilyevich [Phone: (03522) 25225]. Main Architect of Borschev Region, Babiy Vasiliy Timofeevich [Phone: (05541) 21538]. Local History Museum - Sohatskiy Mikhail Petrovich [Phone: (05541) 21692].
  • Jewish Community 'Alef', Paren Nuta Elyevich [Phone: (03522) 69323].

The earliest known Jewish Community was 1570. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1555. Affecting Jewish Community were mid-19th century strife of Hasidim with Haskala and1921 People's house ""Bet Am"" was built. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 16th century with last known Chortkovskaya, Vizhnitskaya Hasidic burial 1940. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by near Franko Street, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 16th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing.) Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (Uncontrolled access. There are many broken tombstones.) Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution and vandalism. Slight threat: vegetation, existing nearby and proposed development.
Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prospect 37a, Apt. 23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site on 19/04/1996. Interviewed were Babiy V.T. on 19/04/1996. Hodorkovskiy completed survey on /04/1996. Documentation: See sction 14 [sic].

Last Updated on Thursday, 02 August 2012 14:37