SHPOLA: US Commission No. UA23020101
Shpola is located in Chercasskaya at 49º2 31º25, 75 km from Chercass and 94 km from Uman. The cemetery is located at Korneychuka St. 27 A. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish Community was 1840. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 5379. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 1965. Buried in cemetery is ShioMayor Zeyde and 2 sons. The last known Hasidic burial was 1965. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 21 to 100 common tombstones all in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery and other. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of housing development. Occasionally, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism.
- Town officials: Jewish Community Lyubovier Anatoliy Naumovich.
Turman Bella of Chercass, Khomenko St. 16, Apt. 66 [Phone: (0472) 631272] visited site and completed survey on 7/16/94 and Geller Grunya Petrovna and members of Jewish community. Interviewed was Geller Grunya Petrovna on 7/16/94.