SHISHKOVTSY Print
SHISHKOVTSY:     US Commission No. UA25200501
Alternate name: Shishkovtse (Yiddish), Shishkovtsy (German), Siscauti (Hungarian) and Szyszkowce (Slov.) Shishkovtsy is located in Chernovitskaya at 48º42 26º2, 20 km from Kitsman and 50 km from Chernovtsy. The mass grave is located at SW part of the village. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
  • Town officials: Village Soviet Chairman Guliy Nikolay Ivanovich [Phone: (03736) 94140].
  • Regional: Region Executive Committee Chairman Shilepnitsky Ivan Orestovich [Phone: (03736) 91255]. Region Executive Committee Chairman Gasyuk P.P. [Phone: (03722) 22640].
  • Chernovtsy Jewish Community, Finkyel Eugeniya Manusovna [Phone: (03722024170]. Jewish Foundation, Tau Yakov Adolfovich [Phone: (03722) 21940].
1939 Jewish population (census) was 26. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1943. No other towns or village's Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has signs or plaques in local language mentioning Jews and the Holocaust. Reached by crossing other public property (road to Shishkovtsy Ivano-Frankovsky region), access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1992. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Local/municipal authorities did re-erection of stones. (1992-The multi-stone monument was set.) Authorities clean or clear occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism. No interview was conducted for this survey.
Hodorkovsky completed survey on 03/22/1995.