v. SELETS: US Commission No. UA02070101
v.Selets is located in Volynskaya 50°46 24°23, 71 km from Lutsk, 1 km from Turijsk and 107 km from Lvov. The cemetery is located at Turijsk-Rydzin road, Turijsk collective farm field. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish Community was 12-13th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 51. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known Hasidic burial 1939-1940. v. Lukov (15 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private Turiysk-Rujin Road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 common tombstones, most in original location with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from 19th to 20th century. No stones were removed. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, damaging stones. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access and vegetation.
- Town officials: Village Executive Council Chairman Geluta Nikolay Constantinovich. Tyrija Collectve Farm.
- Regional: Volinska Oblast Cultural Dept-Dept. of Monument Protection [Phone: (03322)42291].
Kirjner Moisey Davidovich of Lutsk, Prezidenta Grushevskogo St. 18, Apt. 38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site on 9/21/94 with Borisuk Victor Ivanovich. Interviewed on 9/21/94 were Borisuk Victor Ivanovich and Nakonechni V.A. Kirjner completed survey on 09/21/1994.