|SARNY: Cherkasy oblst [Sarni]|
Alternate names: Sarny [Rus Сарны, Pol, Ukr Сарни], Sarni סארני [Yid]. 51°20' N, 26°36' E, in N Volhynia, 52 miles NNE of Rivne (Rovno) and not another Sarny, 19 mi NW of Uman]. Jewish populato: 60 (in 1897), 4,950 (in 1937).
Alternate name: Sarni (Yiddish.) Sarny is located in Rovenskaya at 51°21 26°36, 88 km from Rovno. The cemetery is located at NW, Paris Komunny St. stadium. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish Community was 19th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 2808. Effecting Jewish Community were Khmelnitskiy's pogroms and World War I. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known Hasidic burial 1955. The suburban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and Parizhskoy Komuny Street, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. No stones are visible OR The cemetery has only common tombstones. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for recreational use (park, playground, and sports.) Property adjacent is hospital. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of hospital. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Serious threat: proposed nearby development (possible widening of stadium.) Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, vandalism and existing nearby development.
Kirzhner Moisey of 263005, Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, Apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site on 28/08/1996. Interviewed were Fishman, Fedorovich of Sarny on 28/08/1996 and Perelshteyn of Fidarova St. 4, Apt. 84 on 28/08/1996. Kirzhner completed survey on 01/09/1996.
Sarny Jewish Cemetery - This site, dating back to the end of the 18th century, lies in a derilict state. Nearby development is incompatible. It should be fully demarcated. [Mar 2015] Note: Date conflicts with that given by the US Commission.
The mass grave is located at W, near military unit fences in the forest. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 2-4 April1942. Berezhnitsa Jews (15 km away) were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated wooded flat land has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by forest near fence of military unit, access is open to all. A broken fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 20th century. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are forest and military unit. The mass grave boundaries is larger now than 1939. Organized individual tours visit occasionally. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Local/municipal authorities erected stones and cleared vegetation. Authorities clean or clear occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (Caretaker is needed and possible.) Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, vandalism, and existing nearby and proposed development.
Kirzhner Moisey of 263005, Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, Apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site on 28/08/1996. Interviewed were Perelshteyn of Fildarova St. 4, Apt.84 on 28/08/1996 and Fishman, Fedorovich of Sarny on 28/08/1996. Kirzhner completed survey on 01/09/1996. Documentation: See section 14 [sic].
Note from Esther Gilbert: The overgrown area of what still may be the former Jewish cemetery. The forest beyond is where the Jews were taken on August 27 and 28, 1942, to be killed.
Photos of mass graves in Sarny courtesy Esther Gilbert [August 2011]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 March 2015 19:03|