You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine S. UL'YANOBKA/S. UL'YANOVKA
S. UL'YANOBKA/S. UL'YANOVKA PDF Print E-mail
S. UL'YANOBKA I: US US Commission No. UA10180101
Alternate name: Grushki (Russian) and Ul'yanovka (Ukraine) until 1924. s. Ul'yanobka is 206 km from Kirovograd. The cemetery is located at center, Gagarin's Street. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
  • Town officials: Chairman of the Executive Soviet, Vinyarsky Vasiliy Michaylovich, of post-office Ul'yanovka, Promyshlennaya St. settle [sic] Soviet, [Phone: 2-15-52].
  • Regional: Chairman State Administration, Kvashuk Dmitry Anatolievich of post-office Ul'yanovka, Lenin's St. 78, [Phone: 2-11-87]. Chairman of the State Administration of the Province, Gromovoy Michail of Philippovich, Kirovograd c., Kirov's Square, [Phone: 24-03-30]. Head Architect of district, Poltoratsky Vasiliy Gavrilovich, (05259) [Phone: 2-11-49].
  • Chairman Jewish Community, Elbert Leonid Solomonovich, of Kirovograd c., 50-years of October St. 25, ap. 33 [Phone: 23-22-83].
The earliest known Jewish Community was end of 19th century. Effecting Jewish Community in Podol'skaya guberniya at the end of the 1900s, [sic] 1905 pogroms and Civil War. The last known Hasidic burial was in 1970s. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the unlandmarked cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.30 hectares. 101 to 500 stones, most in their original location, date from 19th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has special section for places single post-War graves. Some tombstones have iron decorations or lettering, other metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation. Now occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal), vegetation (seasonal), vandalism and existing nearby development. Slight threat: pollution and proposed nearby development.
Khodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St. N37-A, Apt.23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site and completed surveyon 28/11/1996 and on 9/12/1996. Documentation: Gul'dman V. Population of the Podol'skaya guberniya .- Kamenetc-Podol'sky 1893; The History of the Towns and Villages of the Ukrainian SSR . Kirovogradskaya Oblast'-Kiev, 1972;; The draft of the settlement [sic].
S. UL'YANOVKA II:     US Commission No. UA10180501
The mass grave is located at center, property of School No. 1. See above for town information. The last known Hasidic burial was in 1943. The urban flat land, part of an unlandmarked municipal cemetery, has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall or fence or gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.00 hectares. 1 to 20 stones, all in their original location, date from 20th century. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for mass grave. Properties adjacent are residential. The mass grave boundaries is larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours and private visitors stop. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Local/municipal authorities cleaned stones and cleared from 1964 to the 1990s. Authorities clean or clear occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: existing nearby and proposed development. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St. N37-A, Apt.23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site and completed survey on 26/11/1996 and 10/12/1996. Poltoratsky V.G., Head Architect [Phone: (05259)21149] was interviewed on 26/11/1996. Documentation: The History of the Towns and Villages of the Ukrainian SSR . Kirovogradskaya Oblast,-Kiev, 1972; Kirovogradshchina during the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945 . Collection of documents and materials. Dnepropetrovsk, 1965. Khodorkovskiy
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution