RENI: US Commission No. UA15080101
Reni is located in Odesskaya at 45°27 28°17, 60 km from Izmail and 221 km from Odessa. The cemetery is located at Stepovaya St. 21. Present town population is 5,001 - 25,000 with 11 - 100 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1201. The last known Hasidic burial was 1994. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated spot has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open with permission. A continuous fence with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, all in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 19th to 20th century. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, other metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Frequently, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country and abroad did re-erection of stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones, cleared vegetation, fixed wall and fixed gate 1946-1994. Jewish survivors, contributions from visitors, and the government pay the regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with a tahara (table) and other distinctive features. Slight threat: pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
- Caretaker: Korostomatiy Ivan of Stepovaya 21.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065 Odessa, Varnenskaya St. 17D, Apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site and completed survey on 9/1/94. Interviewed on 9/1/94 were Todorava Tanya and Shvartsman Poza. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.