You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine RAVA-RUSSKAYA
RAVA-RUSSKAYA:     US Commission No. UA13140101
Alternate names: Rawa (German), Rawa-Ryska (Polish) and Ravi (others). The town is located at 50°15 23°37, 50 km from L'vov and 36 km from Zhovkva. The cemetery is located at W outskirts of town, near road to Nemirov. Present town population is 5,001 - 25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
  • Town officials: Town Soviet, Chairman Pechinka Roman Stepanovich [Phone: (252) 43442].
  • Regional: Regional Soviet, Chairman Chmirko O.G. [Phone: (252) 22758]. Soviet of L'vovskaya Oblast, Chairman Goryn'.
  • Jewish Community of L'vovskaya Oblast.
  • Others: Museum of Holocaust and Museum of Religion.
The earliest known Jewish community was 16 century. 1931 Jewish population was 6100. The last known Hasidic burial was in 1941. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.80 hectares. 21 to 100 stones, few in their original location, date from 1879. Location of any removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural. Rarely, organized individual tours and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish groups within country re-erected and cleaned stones in 1993. There is no maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and pollution.
Aberman S.E. of Apt. 2, 4 Novakovskogo St., L'vov [Phone: (0322) 724687] completed survey.
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution