RADOMYSHL Print
RADOMYSHL I:     US Commission No. UA05670501.
Alternative names: Yiddish: Radomyshl, German: Radomysl. Radomyshl is located in Zhitomirskaya Oblast at 50°30' and 29°14'. The mass gravesite is located 1.5 km SE of the town in the woods near a pioneer camp, 400 m W of road to Kocherov. Population is 5000-25,000 with 10-100 Jews.
  • Town: Town Soviet, Chairman Kapranchuk Vladimir Petrovich, Lenin St., 12, tel.: (04132) 4-23-24, 4-42-06.
  • Regional: Community Historical Monuments Security, Zhitomir, Mikhailovskaya St., 10a, Chairman Borisuk N.E., tel.: 37-08-07. Regional Organization of Community of Monuments Security, Sobornaya Sq. 12, Chairman Dukhnich Nila Vasilievna. Regional Dept. of Culture, 60 let SSSR St., 3, Director Skuratovskiy Vsevolod Mikhailovich, tel.: (8-232) 4-25-13. Historical Country Museum, Lenin St. 7, tel.: 4-30- 08, Director Strichenko Anton Ivanovich.
The Orthodox mass gravesite has no caretaker. The earliest mention about Jewish community is 1775. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 4,637. Effecting Jewish Community were 1919 struggles that killed more than 1000 several thousands of victims of 1941 Holocaust. Living here were poetess Balyasnaya Riva Naumovna (1910-1980 and writer Velednitskiy Abram Markovich (1894-1959). The unlandmarked isolated wooded plain has no sign or marker. Reached by walking deeper on the wood, access is open to all. A continuous fence (2 metal and 2 wooden) with no gate surrounds. Several graves are of different sizes. 1-20 gravestones are in original locations with none broken or removed. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access. The 1980s iron and labradorium, finely smoothed and inscribed stones with traces of paint on the surfaces and metal fences around the graves have Russian and Ukrainian inscriptions: "To fascists' victims 1941-1945". Some separate graves are dedicated to Holocaust victims. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns the non-sectarian cemetery with about 3,000 mainly Jewish graves. The site borders woods and ex-pioneer camp "Lisova pisnya". Rarely, private visitors stop. The site never was vandalized since its creation. Stones have been erected or re-erected on the site by local municipal authorities in 1980s. No care. No caretaker. No structures. Moderate threat: vegetation overgrowth. Slight threat: safety, erosion, pollution, vandalism and incompatibility with prospective construction.
Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 completed the survey 13 May 1996. Documentation: 16th May 1995 Letter of Radomyshlskiy Historical Country Museum, director Strichenko Anton Ivanovich. Other documents exist but were unavailable. He visited the site on 4 August 1998 and interviewed Skuratovskiy Vsevolod Mikhailovich, 60 let SSSR St, 3, tel.: (232) 4-25-13 (work).
RADOMYSHL II:     US Commission No. UA05670502.
The mass gravesite is located in 1 km NW of town, 30 m S of road to Verlok, near mixed fodder production center. The unlandmarked mass gravesite has no caretaker. The isolated rural (agricultural) shallow gully has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds. Current size is 30 square meters. No gravestones are visible. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access. No gravestones or some gravestones have metal fences around graves. There are marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used only as Jewish cemetery. The site borders industrial area and the road to Verlok village. Rarely, private visitors stop. The site never was vandalized. Local municipal authorities made wall and fence repairs in the 1980s. No care. No caretaker. No structures. Moderate threat: vegetation overgrowth. Slight threat: safety, erosion, pollution, vandalism and incompatibility with prospective construction.
Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 completed the survey 13 May 1996. He visited the site on 4 August 1998 and interviewed Skuratovskiy Vsevolod Mikhailovich, 60 let SSSR St, 3, tel.: (232) 4-25-13 (work). Documentation: 16th May 1995 Letter of Radomyshlskiy Historical Country Museum director Strichenko Anton Ivanovich. Other documents exist but were unavailable.
RADOMYSL III:     US Commission No. UA05220101
The cemetery is located at 40 let Pobedy Street. The last known Khabad Hasidic burial was 1994. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with no gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with 25% - 50% toppled or broken, date from 1910. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential and garage. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Serious threat: vegetation and vandalism. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and pollution. Slight threat: weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina Str. 107, Apt. 42 [Phone: (04141) 54259 ] on visited site 12/3/94. Interviewed was Press Rukhlya Nakhmanovna of Gorkogo St. on 12/3/94 and Motryushenko Ekaterina Antonovna on 12/3/94. Kogan completed survey on 12/04/1994.