RACHNI-LESOV: US Commission No. UA01380501
he mass grave is located in the woods on W outskirts of the village road to Schpukov. Rachni-Lesov is located in Vinnitskaya at 49° 28°0, 20 km from Shargorod and 80 km from Vinnitza. Present town population is 1,000 - 5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 150. In 1920, 60 Jews were murdered. The unlandmarked Jewish mass grave was dug in 1943. Pechora (30 km away) Jews were murdered here. The isolated suburban wooded land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No walls, fence, or gate surround. No stones are visible or were removed. The site contains unmarked mass graves. Municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are forest. Rarely, local residents visit. The mass grave was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: vegetation (Badly overgrown by trees with roots destroying graves.). Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.
- Town officials: Region Executive Committee Shargorod, Chairman Karlashchuk Ivan Timofyeyevich [Phone: (04344) 21463]. Local officials: Region Dept. of Culture in Shargorod - Petrov Yuriy Victorovich.
- Regional: Region Executive Committee in Vinnitza, Chairman Melnik Nikolay Yevtihovich [Phone: (0432) 327540]. Region Dept. of Culture in Vinnitza, Chairman Ilchuk Nikolay Nikolayevich [Phone: (0432) 325637].
- Others: Vinnitsa Oblast Dept. of Jewish Culture, Gubenko Bella Aronovna [Phone: (0432) 351666].
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Ukraine, Odessa, Varnenskaya 17d,a.52 [Phone: (0482) 665950 visited site] on 5/5/95. Interviewed was Shargorodskaya M.P. of Vinnik on 5/5/95. Oks completed survey on 03/09/1995. Documentation: State Archive of Odesskaya Oblast. Fond P-2264. Op. 1 D. 8.15. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.
RADIVILOV: US Commission No. UA17050102
Radivilov is located in Rovenskaya. The town is location at 50° 51 26° _, 100 km from Rovno and 101 km from Lvov. The cemetery is located at Geroev Street. Present town population is 5,001 - 25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 15-16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 4000. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Hasidic burial 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds site. 1 to 20 common tombstones, more than 75% toppled or broken, date from 19th to 20th century. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Municipality owns site. Properties adjacent are recreational and other. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, organized Jewish tour or pilgrimage groups visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Now, occasionally, individuals clean or clear. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. No threats.
Kirjner Moisey Davidovich of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, Apt. 38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site and completed survey on 10/5/94. Interviewed on 10/5/94 was Pastuh, Isyuk V.M., and Bortnik F.H.