PYATKA Print
PYATKA I:     US Commission No. UA05650501
Alternative names: Yiddish-Pyatka, German-Piatka, Polish-Pyatki, and Russian-Pjatki. The 1941 mass gravesite is located at N outskirts of village, on the Pyatka river bank in Zhitomirskaya oblast at 50°01' and 28°22', 20 km from Xudnov, 19 km from Berdichev and 34 km from Vinnitsa. Present town population is 1000-5000 with no Jewish population.
  • Town: tel.: (04139) 9-37-39, Village Soviet Chairman Storchak Dmitriy Ivanovich.
  • Regional: Community of Historical Monuments Security in Zhitomir: Mikhailovskaya St., 10a. Chairman N.E. Borisuk. Regional Cultural Department, Chudnov, Lenin St., 95, tel.: (239) 9-14-57, 9-14-07.
  • Zhitomir Jewish community, Chairman Novoafstovskiy M., Malaya Berdichevskaya St., 7, tel.: (0412) 37-34-28.
  • Interested: Tkachuk Eva Semenovna, Pyatka.
     The earliest mention about Jewish community is 1775. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 870 Orthodox Jews. The isolated rural left bank of Pyatka River has sign or marker in Russian mentioning Holocaust. Reached by crossing a meadow, access is open to all. The mass gravesite is surrounded by continuous fence, no gate, and is not landmarked. It contains two mass graves: 16sq.m. X 90 sq.m. No caretaker. There are two broken tombstones. Vegetation overgrowth is constant problem that disturbs graves. The granite gravestone dates from 1950. Inscription in Russian: "Here are Pyatka residents executed by German-fascist invaders in 1941." On the mass gravesite are tombstones with metal fences around graves. There also are some separate monuments, dedicated to Holocaust victims, and unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns property used only as a Jewish cemetery. The site borders a residential area, meadow, and Pyatok River. The mass gravesite is visited rarely by private visitors (Jews). The site never was vandalized. Care: re-erected stones, cleaning of vegetation, fixing of walls by Jews who live within the country in 1950s-1980s. At present, the mass gravesite has no care. No structures. Serious threat: vegetation overgrowth. Moderate threat: safety, pollution and vandalism. Slight threat: erosion and incompatibility with possible building.
     Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St, 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 visited site on 2 November 1996 and completed survey on 3 November 1996. Documentation: "Veitsblit Movement of Jewish Population in Ukraine, Proletar, 1930." Interviewed was Maria Gavriluk, Pyatka, Lenin St.
PYATKA II:     US Commission No. UA05650101
     This 19th century cemetery is located at the S part of the village. The unlandmarked cemetery has no lock or caretaker. The last known Orthodox Jewish burial was in 1929. The isolated rural (agricultural) land near the water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all with no gate, fence or wall. 20-100 smoothed Hebrew-inscribed granite gravestones in original locations and 1-20 not in original location with 50-75% overturned or broken, date from 1864. The location of the missing stones is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth is seasonal problem that prevents access. No known mass graves. Municipality owns site used only as a Jewish cemetery. The cemetery borders an agricultural area and brook. The cemetery boundaries are the same as in 1939. The cemetery is not visited at all. The cemetery has never been vandalized. No care or structures. Moderate threat: safety and vegetation overgrowth. Slight threat: erosion, pollution, vandalism and incompatibility with prospective construction.
     Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St. 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 visited site and completed survey on 2 November 1996. Documentation: " Jewish Encyclopaedia" by Brokgauz and Efron and "Veitsblit Movement of Jewish Population in Ukraine, Proletar, 1930." Interviewed was Maria Gavriluk, Pyatka, Lenin St.