PUTILA: US Commission No. UA25100101
Alternate name: Putyla (Yiddish). Putila is located in Chernovitskaya at 48°0 25°5, 95 km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located at S part of the village. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with no Jews.
1939 Jewish population (census) was 382. The Jewish cemetery was established in in the 19th century with last known Hasidic Jewish burial 1940. No other towns or villages' used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous fence without gate surrounds the cemetery. 501-5000 stones, all in original location with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from 19th to 20th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns site used for industrial or commercial use. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of commercial or industrial development. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years with no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are sructures of Lesokombinat. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: existing and proposed nearby development. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion and vandalism.
- Town: Village Soviet Chairman-Nestor Nikolay Pantelovich [tel. (03738) 21096].
- Local: Region Executive committee of Putila, Ukrainskaya str. 180.
- Regional: Region Executive committee of Chernovtsy, Chairman Gasyuk [tel. (03722) 22640].
- Jewish Foundation of Chernovtsy, Theatralnaya Dq. 5 [tel. (03722) 36764].
- Others: Teacher of Jewish school in Chernovtsy-Ferdman Yephim Nikolayevich. Region Soviet of Society of Historical and Culture Monument Preservation, Chairman Hardina Valentina Alekseevna [tel. (03722) 26650].
Hodorkovsky Yuriy Isaakovich of 252037, Ukraine, Kiev, Vozduhoflotsky 37a, 23 [tel. (044) 2769505] visited site on 1/26/95 and completed survey on 02/05/95 with no interviews was conducted. Documentation: Gross S.Y., Cohen Y.Y. Sefer Marmoroch, Tel Aviv, 1983.