POMORYANY: US Commission No. UA13460101
Alternative names: German: Pomoriany Polish: Pomorzany. Pomoryany is in Lvovskaya oblast at 49°38' and 42°36', 26 km from Zolochev. The cemetery is located at SE part of village on Maltsev St 45-47 on a hill behind houses. Present town population is 1000-5000, with no Jews.
The unlocked cemetery has no caretaker. The earliest Jewish community was 1603. 1935Jewish population was 2174. Ukrainian-Polish war (1648-1655); 1667- Turks and Cossacks had taken Pomoryany; Privileges of Polish king Vladislav 4 for Jews in 1654 and of Polish king Yan III in 1692; 1711 fire in Pomoryany because of Russian troops effected Jewish community. The cemetery was created is 1654 with last known Orthodox Jewish burial before June 1941. Dunaev, 15 km away, used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all with no wall or fence or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II and now was 0.95 hectares. 1-20 concrete gravestones with metal elements, all in original location, with more than 75% broken, date from 20th century. Some removed stones are part of roads or structures in Pomoryany. Inscriptions are illegible. There are no separate monuments, structures, or mass graves. The municipality owns property used only as Jewish cemetery. The cemetery borders residential area. The cemetery boundaries are the same as in 1939. Rarely, private citizens visit. The cemetery was vandalized during the World War II and since. Very serious threat: post-war vandalism created a sand quarry. Along with sand, people took away stones too. Only concrete foundations are left. At present, the quarry is inactive. Moderate threat: safety, erosion, and pollution. Slight threat: vegetation overgrowth, incompatibility with present and planned construction.
- Town: Village Soviet chairman Zhovtanskii Petro Leonidovich, tel.: 98260. Village Soviet is in the center on a main road.
- Regional: Lvov Regional State Administration, Lvov Vinnichenko St., 18, reception room, tel.: 722947, 728093.
- Lvov Jewish Commmunity, Lvov Mikhnovskih St., 4, Rabbi Mordekhai Shloime Bold, tel.: 330524.
- Interested: Lvov Center State Historical Archives (CSHA), Sobornaya square, 3a, tel.: 723508.
Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 visited site in 15.10.1998 and completed survey in 7.11.1998. Documentation: CSHA, Fond 186, Inventory 6, page 17; Slownik Geog. Krol. Pol., T.8, p.747, Warsz., 1889 (in Polish); CSHA, F.9, inv. 360 points of Safe, p.46. Kolesnik Alexandra Vasilievna, secretary of the village Soviet, tel.: 98260, was interviewed.