You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine POGREBISHCHE
POGREBISHCHE PDF Print E-mail
POGREBISHCHE I:     US Commission No. UA01500501
Alternate name: Probishta (Yiddish), Pohorbishch (German) and Pogrebiszcze (Polish). The town is located at 49°29 29°16, 62 km from Vinnitsa. The mass grave is located at the SE part of the town on Kotsubinskogo St. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
  • Town: Town Soviet, Chairman Panasuk Boris Leontievich [tel. (04346) 21201]
  • Regional archives of Pogrebishche of Manager-Vilun Olesya Sergeevna [tel. (04346) 21940]. Town Soviet Raigosadministratsiya (District state administration), Chairman Korotun Petr Vladimirovich [tel. (04346) 21275]. Culture Department Manager-Kravchuk Galina Nikolaevna [tel. (04346) 21279]. Executive committee of Vinnitskaya Oblast.
  • Jewish Community of Vinnitsa, Chairman Desner.
  • Caretaker: Without 1975, ferro-concrete works, 11 Kotsubinskogo str., Manager-Vetrov Kirill Filipovich [tel. (04346) 21968].
  • Others: Regional State Archives of Vinnitskaya Oblast.
     The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1926 Jewish population was 2881. Effecting the Jewish community were 1648 pogrom of B. Khmelnitsky, 1736 and 1768 Gaydamathsky pogroms, and 1919 Civil War pogroms. Living here was Ar'e Ieguda Leyb b. Baruh. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 19-23 October 1941. Dzunkov (15 km away) and Novofastov (15 km away) Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated suburban hillside has signs or plaques in local language, Hebrew, and Russian mentioning the Holocaust and Russianss. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence and non-locking gate surround the mass grave. 1-20 common tombstones, all in original location, date from 1965. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are ravine and the kitchen garden of the farmstead. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country cleared vegetation in 1965 with constant restoration every year. Now, there is regular unpaid caretaker. (Without 1975, works of ferro-concrete items). Within the limits of the site are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation (seasonal and constant problem) and existing nearby development. Slight threat: vandalism and proposed nearby development.
     Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., apt. 68 [tel. (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 01/10/96. No interviews.
POGREBISHCHE II:     US Commission No. UA01500502
     The 1942 Hasidic mass grave is located at center of the town, 109 Khmelnitskogo str. No other towns or villages' Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated urban flat land has signs or plaques in local language and Russian mentioning the Holocaust and Russians. Reached by crossing public property of A.T. Enterprise, access is open with permission. A continuous fence and a gate that locks surround the mass grave. The approximate size is now 0.35 hectares. 1-20 common tombstones, all in original location, date from 1965. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and residential. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation annually since but without 1975. Authorities occasionally clean or clear. Within the limits of the site are no structures. Moderate threat: existing nearby development. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal), pollution, vandalism and proposed nearby development. See above for survey info. No interviews.
POGREBISHCHE III:     US Commission No. UA01500503
     The 1942 mass grave is located on the bottom of the ravine NW of town on Gagarina St. Novofastov (22 km away) and Dzunkov (22 km away) Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated suburban land has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road and crossing public property (MTE N10-537), access is open to all with a continuous fence and non-locking gate. The approximate size is now 0.06 hectares. 1-20 common tombstones, all in original location, date from 1965. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and hillside of the ravine. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents stop. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in every year without the monument installed. [sic] Within the limits of the site are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and vegetation. Slight threat: pollution, vandalism, existing and proposed nearby development. See above for survey info. No interviews.
POGREBISHCHE III:     US Commission No. UA01500504
     The mass grave is located at E, Molodegnaya St., at the right to the road. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. No other towns or villages' Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated suburban hillside has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, crossing public Polish cemetery and the kitchen gardens. The access is open to all with a continuous fence and non-locking gate. The approximate size is now 0.02 hectares. 1-20 common tombstones, all in original location, date from 1965. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are the kitchen gardens. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents stop. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation annually without 1975. (Look p.14 [sic]). Within the limits of the site are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and vegetation (seasonal). Slight threat: vandalism, existing and proposed nearby development. See above for survey info. No interviews.
POGREBISHCHE IV:     US Commission No. UA01500505
     The 1941 mass grave is located at the E part of the Jewish cemetery. No other towns or villages' Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The suburban hillside between fields and woods, part of a municipal cemetery, has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by crossing public Jewish cemetery, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size is now 0.05 hectares. 1-20 common tombstones, all in original location, date from 1965. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Property adjacent is Jewish cemetery. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Jewish individuals within country re-erected stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1965. The regular caretaker is paid by visitors' contributions. Within the limits of the site are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal) and vegetation (seasonal). Slight threat: pollution and vandalism.
     Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., apt. 68 [tel. (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 01/10/96. Interviewed were Stashevskaya Ekaterina Petrovna of 4 Chapaeva str. on 01/10/96 and Dubovsky Alexandr Yakovlevich of 20 Krasnoarmeyskaya str. [tel. (04346) 21790] on 01/10/96.
POGREBISHCHE V:     US Commission No. UA01500101
     The cemetery is located at NE of town, between Chapaeva and Kalinina str. The last known Conservative Jewish burial was in 1970. Pliskov (22 km away) and Babin (22 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside and crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or fence but a non-locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 4.00 hectares. 501-5000 stones, most in their original location, date from 1895 to 20th century. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones, cleared vegetation and fixed gate in 1968. Now, a regular caretaker is paid by a local contribution. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal) and vegetation (seasonal). Slight threat: pollution and vandalism.
     Stashevskaya Ekaterina Petrovna of 4 Chapaeva str. on 01/10/96 and Dubovskiy Aleksandr Yakovlevich of 20, Krasnoarmeyskaya str. [tel. (04346) 21790] were interviewed on 01/10/96.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution